~Chapter 2

Jupiter paced back and forth in front of Lucas, rereading the letter again, this time out loud. "Dear Jupiter, we are writing this to inform you that your presence is required to have at our next meeting. This meeting will be held on the 22nd day of November in the Church at the 4th hour past midnight. Please, come with Mr. Charhi and no body else. We would not be writing this if it was not necessary. Sincerely, The Vampire Council."

Lucas stood in front ofme with his hand over his mouth and his one arm crossed. He wouldn't look at me just only the ground. Finally, I turned to him. "I was banished. I'm not allowed to go back."

"That's why I am starting to get curious."

"Starting?" She blinked at him.

He looked up at Jupiter and took his hand away from him mouth. "Yes, starting. I only skimmed over it and plus, I forgot you had been banished until you were halfway through reading it out loud."

She strode over to the table a few feet away from her and slammed the paper down, taking a seat in one of the lawn chairs. Holding her head in her hands, she went over the letter in her head again. This was probably some stupid joke they were trying to play on her. Or worse... Maybe it wasn't a joke at all.

She shot to her feet again. How could they want her back? Even for one meeting! She has broken the number one rule; she had killed one of her own.

"Let's not get to overwhelmed here, Jupiter. We don't know what awaits us."

She spun. "That's exactly it! What could possibly be so bad that they need me for? Hm?"

Silence dropped between them, the only noise coming from the filter next to their inground pool. They didn't break eye contact for several moments. Finally, Jupiter blinked and turned away. She didn’t understand why the Vampire Council wanted to see her. They hated her and they had a very good reason to.

A year after becoming a Vampire, Jupiter had been called to the court along with Ronny. When she had showed up alone and explained what had happened - that Ronny had been taken - she was shunned away from the Vampire kind; and only because Ronny had been the head Vampire’s son. The fact that she had let Ronny be taken had made the head Vampire ruthless and not caring about how unreasonable he was. If it weren’t for Lucas, Ronny’s brother, their father would have possibly killed Jupiter. So, why was he wanting to see her again after 10 years?

Jupiter read over the note again but this time aloud. “Dear Miss Montiel. On behalf of the Vampire Council, we are calling upon your time and presence for an evening. You are needed to be at the Court tomorrow night right after sunfall. Please, bring Lucas with you. Sincerely, The Vampire Council.” She scratched her head, finally tearing her eyes away from the note. “Why the hell do they want to see me?” she finally asked, turning to Lucas.

He shrugged, playing with a pen he had picked up off the circular glass table next to him. He looked bored yet amused at the same time.

“Aren’t you even the slightest bit concerned?”

He shrugged again, glancing up at her for only a second.

Grunting, she threw the note on his lap and started towards the door.

“Where are you going?” He finally asked just as she reached the door. He still lay on the lawn chair, but this time, his eyes were closed and he didn’t look the slightest bit disquieted.

Without turning around, she said, “I need a drink.”

Jupiter was seated in a stool at the bar, her legs dangling over the floor. She fingered the umbrella in her drink for a while and was so deep in thought that she barely noticed Evan, who had slid onto the stool next to her. It was only when he spoke that she was pulled out of her mind.