Chapter 5

Axel

Ah, home sweet home.

I unlock the door of Buck's apartment above the auto shop, holding it open for River as he excitedly shoves past me to get a proper look at the place.

I'm sure Jax will be devastated by my decision not to move into her old dorm like she's offered so many times, but needs must. And I must not live in a rent-free situation. And I don't wanna impose on Shay's independence either. I just can't do it. I'd rather skulk around in the Thornton labyrinth again than take any charity from them. The rats down there were great company.

Kidding, obviously. There weren't any rats.

That I saw.

I sigh deep, looking around at the bare bones of Buck's neglected home away from home as River flies around the modest space like a loose hamster, taking it all in.

I move towards a set of double doors in the back of the living area, grabbing the handles of both doors and swinging them open simultaneously, revealing the bedroom to River. He jumps on to the double bed and beams up at me while tossing his hands around the back of his head, making himself comfy.

"Bring it on home, bad boy." He says, cocking his head and crooking his fingers suggestively like get over here and join me. I laugh and pull him to his feet, bringing him into a big bear hug. He's always been shorter than me, but he's never been this much smaller than me before. I got a little bigger in jail, unintentionally; I used to be lean like River, but now there's some muscle on my bones too. I've never been into working out, but I gotta admit I kinda enjoyed it inside. I might just join a gym and keep it up.

"I miss this." River says seriously as we break away from the hug. "You know I love Shay, but I really did miss you. Just us guys. And fuck, I miss Mac, too."

We've been through a lot of shit together, and we aren't afraid to show our emotions when we're alone. This is the first time we've been together without Shay in a long ass time. I knew the moment would get to him.

"Mac still has time to do better." I grumble, turning and walking back out into the living area. I'm not convinced by what I just said, but I think River needs to hear it. Him and Macauley were always just that little bit tighter. They had what Hunter and I used to have. Before he fucked it all up.

"You and I both know that's bullshit." River says as he follows me out and drops down onto the sofa, ruffling a hand through his messy hair. "Mac's a lost cause. This is it now, dude. Harm is over. It's officially just us."

I ignore that, because he's the biggest people person I have ever met. He's already made a bunch of new friends here in North Bridge. He doesn't even need me.

But he wants me, after all this time and distance, and that's what's important. River will always be my boy.

"Drink?" I offer as I shrug out of my jacket, eyes on the bottle of vodka I purchased earlier. I had no idea how much I'd be needing it tonight, so I'm glad it's there.

"Well, someone got hot." River says, ignoring my question and leaning back against the sofa as he looks me up and down like he's a chick that likes what she sees. "Seriously, A. Prison changed you."

"Fuck off." I laugh, sitting back against the sofa cushions and laying my head down. It's been a long couple days.

"I'm not even joking. I know it's been a while, but you look different." He comments. I turn my head and frown at him as he continues sizing me up with his baby blues. "New hair cut?"

"Less tattoos." I chuckle, looking back up at the roof.

"Yeah, what the fuck is the deal with the dodgy tattoo removal? Why'd you do that?" He asks with a frown. River has zero ink himself - besides his HARM branding - an impressive accomplishment for a former Del Testa.