chapter twenty-six

{3 months later}

"Rissy let's go we're gonna be late!" Chris said.

I came downstairs and fixed my dress. "Will you give me a second I can barely walk in these heels and I haven't said goodbye to the twins." I said.

"Honey I love you but I know when you're procrastinating. It's one Christmas expo." He said.

"Yeah. Deck the halls." I said sarcastically. I found the babies on the floor with the nanny. I gave them both a kiss.

"Thank you for watching them again, Lola."

"No problem mrs Evans." She said. Chris held my hand to signal for us to go.

I sighed and turned to him. "Will you stop?" I whispered.

"Don't Iris." He warned.

"What am I doing wrong?" I asked as we went out to the car.

"You're just acting like a bitch." He said as we got in the car.

"You know what fuck you." I said. I got out of the car and went inside.

I went straight up to my own room, which I haven't used in a while. It's basically just my closet now, and it will be one of the children's rooms eventually. For now they have a room to share.

"Iris. Come on." He said. I got into my room and slammed the door on him.

He barged inside and shut the door. He didn't want our nanny hearing, of course. He had a little eye for her and I knew it.

"We have a party to go to." He said.

"No chris, you have a party bud." I said as I took out my earrings. "I'm staying home with the kids."

"Will you please get out of the house for a little? Is this about your mommy anxiety cause we can work on that. We can go on a date. No party just out to dinner or something. Just- come on it's Christmastime."

"Will you stop acting like you didn't just call me a bitch a few minutes ago?" I asked him.

"I said to stop acting like one. And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said it. Im sorry." He said. He came up to me and held my hand.

I looked away but he moved my chin to look at him. "Iris I'm sorry."

"I know." I whispered, finally giving in.

He smiled and kissed my head. I sighed and looked at him. "I'm sorry too. You're right I don't want to leave Dante and Dani but there's just...I'm nervous." I said.

"I know babe. I know and I should be more considerate of that. I mean you- you had my kids. You carried them and had them and I'm proud of you. I wish I had more time here instead of work too. So I apologize." He said.

"Let's go out. But umm. Let's be comfy. Get fast food. Just hang out." I said.

"God this is why I married you Iris James." He said and kissed my cheek

•••

Chris shared a bag of fries with me as we sat in a parking lot, in the back of my car, with the blankets around us.

"Iris how in the hell do you make me

"Iris how in the hell do you make me...not mafia boss like?" He asked as he laid back on the pillows.

"Oh you mean not a self entitled rich prick that grew up on daddy's money? Simple. Fast food. Sweatpants. No children." I said.

He sat there and chuckled. "Am I really a rich prick?"

"Chris..no. I was giving you shit. You're far from it." I said.

He nodded softly and sipped on his milkshake. He seemed relaxed. It was a first in the past few months. When he wasn't working he was taking care of the kids. We haven't had much time together besides sleeping next to each other.

"We've been distant." I blurted. He looked up at me and smiled softly. That guilty smile.

"I know." He whispered. "And I'm sorry."

"No don't be. I was just thinking about how busy we have both been. It's nice to spend time with you." I said.

He sighed and gave me that sorry look. He grabbed my hand.

"I've been missing out on being a dad, that part is obvious, but I've also been missing out on being a husband. I miss hanging out with you and I miss us. I mean I married you and had a connection with you for a reason right? What I'm saying is that I miss you a lot. I miss us a lot. And these next few weeks I wanna help you with the babies and I wanna be around you. Because I love you and you know that."

I smiled at him. I pecked his lips softly. "Staycation?"

"Staycation. Now you my flower, are gonna be treated right. Because every mama needs that." He said as he placed me down on the seat. I giggled as he kissed me passionately.

•••

"Fuck I don't wanna get up." Chris whispered. Our car was definitely...heated up in this December weather.

Chris laid on my body. I ran my hands through his hair.

"I can drive." I said softly.

"Hell yeah you can in your sexy little car." He said.

"Shhh." I whispered. He laughed and pulled me closer.

"We needed that." He said.

"Yes we did." I said.

He kissed my cheek and I looked at him. His eyes were soft.

"We should go back to the kids huh?" He said.

"Yeah and we're already late. I told the nanny nine." I said, looking to see that it was 8:55.

"Okay." He said. He slowly got up, pecking my lips as he did. He handed me my sweatshirt and sweatpants that were thrown around.

I put on my clothes and got into the drivers seat. Chris dressed and got into the passenger.

"Iris?"

"Yeah babe."

"I love you." He said.

I smiled at bin and backed out of the parking lot. "I love you too."