3

"What?” I laughed, but I ended up choking on my own words. “This…isn’t even possible.”  I stated, glancing over his shoulder to find the limp body of the demon thingie. He chuckled again, finding this all amusing somehow. I didn’t find one ounce of amusement in this, how could he? It must be because he does this a lot. Apparently.

“What’s so funny?” I asked, irritated, and still slightly uncomfortable from how close we were. Every time he even talked his warm breath would wash over my face, sending cool chills down my spine. Nothing was funny. Nothing. It was scary, and just plain out weird.

“You’ve obviously never seen a demon before,” He was grinning, causing me to frown, and to shake at the way the word demon sounded coming off his lips.

“Well, no.” I admitted with a slight laugh, still catching my breath. I still had trouble believing this was all real.

“Actually,” He thought, looking deep into my eyes, still with that cute boyish smirk on his face, “You have. You just didn’t know it.”

“What?” I asked, probably for the 100th time. “But…” I thought back, the string of memories from strangers faces in Wal-Mart, on the street, and everywhere else all around me in daily life. It was impossible. I looked at him for a moment, eyes wide in both awe and horror, “Is this real?” Asking that made me feel, yet again, stupid. But it also made me feel alive, in some sort.

He chuckled, the light freckles bridging under his eyes dancing like fireworks in the night sky. It was then I found the dark, twisted halo around him changing shape and color into something lighter and much more colorful. It was amazing how just a smile on his face could lighten everything around him up. When I first saw him I thought he was mute, a shy, evil guy who looked both dark and demented. I was wrong.

His smile was cute, I had to admit. Boyish, playful, shy, and promising. The small gap between his two front teeth made him all the more colorful. My eyes devoured him.

“You’re interesting.” He admitted, and looked at me, as if searching through my thoughts. I felt an inch of redness flatter my cheeks, as I began to blush madly and deeply.

“Thanks?” I muttered shyly, looking down and hiding my face with my falling strands of blond. Unfortunately my hair was really thin, yet luckily, I had much of it.

He continued to think out loud, as I looked down at his shoes. “I wonder why that demon attacked you…”

Funny, I was wondering the exact same thing.

“Yeah, didn’t you say demons only attack humans?” I asked, obviously lost.

He smirked. “Ahh, so you do think this is real now?” He slowly stood back up on his feet, towering over me like a skyscraper. Blushing even deeper, I blinked up at him, hoping he wouldn’t notice under the darkness of his shadow, and I watched as he held out his large hands for help. Hesitantly, I took them in mine, felt a tug at my shoulders, and was on my feet in seconds.

“Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.” He cleared his throat as the silence began to pour in around us. Then, finding the words lost in his mind, he slowly began to speak again, “What…what does it look like to you?”