4

“Huh,” Christian mumbled, his face right in mine, his eyes looking over me curiously, as if I wasn’t human. Well, I didn’t know yet if I was or wasn’t. I’d learned recently that the blond was Christian, only a year older that Robert, making him eighteen. Right now, all his focus was on me, and after hearing the story of the whole demon-attacking-me thing, his curiosity only grew. “Weird,” He muttered, “Do you think that she…could be, possibly, a demon hunter like us?”

Robert, sitting in the chair beside him, thankfully not as close, shrugged and looked from me to him. Christian on the other hand, kept his eyes on me. His eyes weren’t as interesting as Robert’s, they weren’t a spoon full of colors, or a color wheel like Roberts, but they were certainly captivating and lustful. They were a glittery green, attractive and dreamy, yet at the same time empty and soulless, with a fiery brown rim circling the pupils. I caught myself staring into them, but only for a moment. Not as long as I could be staring into Robert’s.

“Is this the first time you’ve seen a demon?” Christian asked me, interested. I shrugged, a dumb-founded look crossing my face. I was still having a hard time swallowing this.

“I honestly don’t know. I mean….I can’t really remember.” I tried to, though. But my memory was clouded. It was always clouded, and it was best to keep it that way. So I thought. So I was told.

“Well try,” Christian leaned back in his chair, thankfully, the chair whose pegs looked ready to break form the pressure any second, “This is important.”

“Yeah, I get that.” I said, slightly offended from the harshness and demand in his tone.

“You obviously don’t,” He muttered arrogantly, then glanced over at Robert before he could catch my quick death glare and jaw-clench. “She doesn’t look like Puppeteer, she doesn’t have the eyes.”

“Well,” Robert cleared his throat, sliding forward in his chair, looking all innocent and shy. It was intriguing, “Let’s not forget, you started to…change around seventeen. You never know, this year might just be the year for her.”

“She saw one demon,” He laughed, annoyed, “Big deal.” Did I disgust him or something? Why the heck was he being this rude to me, I didn’t do anything to him.

“Actually, it is.” Robert glared into his eyes, his familiar seriousness coming back into play. Minutes seemed to pass after that, minutes and minutes in such heavy, mocking silence, silence that seemed to scream inside my ears and burn inside my body. They both scowled at each other, testing the hold of their gaze.

Finally, Christian spoke, his deep voice carrying. “We need to test her.”

Test? What the heck did that mean? A test? What kind of test? With everything I’d witnessed lately, I was beginning to believe anything was possible, even if the impossible. “W-What…test?” I asked slowly; panic pouring into my body, a cold sweat forming on my forehead.

An entertained smirk flashed across Christians face, and I just gawked back at him, confused and a bit creeped out. I quickly looked at Robert, who was already returning my gaze. After a moment, he sighed, then spoke to Christian, “What did you have in mind?”

After that, I was forced up off my chair, down the rotting stairs of the abandoned house, and further down even more steps once on ground level. Soon, darkness fell upon us, and we were walking further down into its depth. I tried to keep all my focus on Roberts touch, his hand in mind as we walked down the creaking steps, just to feel safe, to know that I wasn’t alone in the dark.

But it got harder as we went on. Pretty soon, I felt the air change, moisten, dampen all around us. It had been like we’d stepped out into a forest or something, some wet place. Or maybe we had. If only I could see.