¹¹ | We stop beating around the bush

ᴍᴀᴇᴠᴇ ᴡɪʟʟɪᴀᴍꜱ

"𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐌𝐀𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘, it's your dad. I'm just calling to see how everything is going. I know you don't want to hear my voice right now...but I'm always here if you need me or somewhere to stay. Okay, that's it, I guess...love you."

My face scrunched in distaste as I heard the beep of the voicemail end.

Delete.

"He has a way with words, doesn't he?" I sarcastically asked, stretching my legs out across the beige couch. "Need somewhere to stay? Yeah, if I ever find myself in California I'll give you a call."

"That's the third one this month," Adam spoke.

"I know, it's like he just remembered he has a daughter," I shrugged.

"Okay," Adam sighed, sitting upright to face me.

He put on his serious face and I knew I was in deep shit.

"Are you gonna tell me what's wrong or am I just going to have to guess?"

"Nothing's wrong," I told him.

"I'm concussed, not brain dead," He started.

"A minor concussion," I reminded him.

"M, you're eating ice cream!"

"Can we get to the point because we're supposed to leave in 10?"

"You're eating ice cream and you're lactose intolerant," Adam stated, grabbing the carton out of my hand. "The last time you had ice cream was two years ago when..."

"Okay, no, wherever you're going with this is completely-"

"Did something happen with Guy after the game?" He interrupted me, apparently deciding to just stop beating around the bush.

"Nothing happened."

"Really? Nothing?" He repeated, his eyebrows raised in disbelief. "Okay, not even his kiss with Connie?"

"I don't even know how you found that out."

"Charlie told me."

"Since when do you and Charlie talk one on one?" I asked, my interest finally starting to peak.

"Don't change the subject."

"A, there is nothing Germaine could ever do that I'd care enough about to eat ice cream over," I declared, hoping to put an end to the conversation.

"I don't know, Maeve. It's just strange..." He sighs, and I hear a touch of sympathy in his voice. "You ate ice cream when he broke your heart two years ago, and now you're doing it again."

"Except he didn't break my heart," I added.

"He's your first kiss and 24 hours ago you saw him kiss another girl. And, what? You expect me to believe that your heart doesn't hurt in the slightest?"

Oh, ouch.

"Not at all."

He knew I was lying. I knew I was lying. But maybe that's just what I am--a liar.

☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆

"𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊, 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄 any bad dives, okay?" Peter Mark advised, a hypocritical and knowing grin playing onto his face.

"Just remember, keep your head up, man," Jesse mentioned as Bombay nodded in acknowledgment.

"Cake Eater," Adam commented.