Chapter Seven

When I awoke in the morning, it was to the sound of chirping birds. I sighed as I rolled out of bed, getting into my armour and gathering my supplies. I went back downstairs, and when I didn’t see Elva, I figured she was already outside and ready to depart. I gratefully thanked the King for his hospitality and generosity, and exited the castle.
    “Oh good,” Elva was preparing Ruby for the ride. “I was about to go get you myself.”
    “Sorry,” I apologized, prepping Snowfire as quickly as I could. “It’s only just dawn, we aren’t wasting any time, if that’s what you’re worried about.”
    “The fate of the world rests on our shoulders, Clovis,” she sounded slightly annoyed with me. “The faster we get going, the better. Whitemount is our next destination.”
    I didn’t say anything else as we mounted our horses and left Bridgefall. She seemed upset about what I had told her last night, and the guilt still hadn’t left me. We rode in silence for a while, before a rustling in the bushes caught our attention.
   Ruby was on edge, raising her head and letting out long, drawn out snorts. That must be why they call her the Red Dragon.
   “Who’s there?” Elva called, attempting to settle Ruby. “Show yourself!”
    Before whatever was in the bush had a chance to come out, I shot several lightning bolts at it, leaving the plants smouldering. Just then, a young girl came out from behind the destroyed bush, crying.
    “Clovis! That was incredibly reckless!” Elva scolded, dismounting Ruby and going over to the young girl. “You could have killed her!”
    “She was mysteriously rustling around in the bushes,” I replied, staying atop Snowfire. “It would have been her fault.”
    Elva gave me a dirty look as she consoled the young girl, assuring her that she was safe now. The child told her she was playing by the river and had gotten lost, unable to find her way back to her hometown of Mudwood.
    “We’ll bring you home, don’t you worry,” Elva smiled as she mounted Ruby again and placed the girl in the saddle in front of her. “Mudwood is on our way anyway.”
    “Elva, do we even have time for this?” I asked, irritated.
    “Clovis, what’s gotten into you?” she asked in response. “Just this morning you weren’t worried about time, and now you are? You’re also being reckless. Are you feeling alright?”
    “I feel fine,” I grunted, kicking on Snowfire and continuing down the path.

   We returned the young girl safely to her family and kept on our way, stopping to set up camp at the kingdom border.
    “What you did today was far from ok,” Elva said coldly as we ate by the light of the fire.
    “Sorry,” I apologized insincerely. “My nerves must be getting the better of me.”
    “Oh, what nerves, Clovis?” she asked rhetorically, growing annoyed. “Just yesterday you told me there was nothing to worry about, and it’s very clear you’ve grown much more comfortable in both your magic and combat skill.”
    “Am I not allowed to be nervous?” I was now becoming annoyed as well. “I have been here not even a month, and soon I’m going to be fighting a powerful demon I know next to nothing about.”
   “We’re in the same position, Clovis.”
   “Similar, not the same,” I stood, beginning to get angry. “You have no idea what it’s like having an entire world relying on you!”
   “Oh, yes,” Elva stood, now also angry. “Because it’s so hard being the God chosen Hero!”
   “It is!” I snapped, yelling at her. “I have all these expectations from people I don’t even know if I can live up to. I’m just some guy full of static electricity. I don’t even know why I’m the Hero, I shouldn’t be. It should be you, Elva, and I’m sorry I can’t change that. As much as I wish I could I can’t make you the Hero!”
   After I finished yelling, I could feel my eyes well up with tears. I looked away from Elva, who’s face had dropped from anger to guilt. I heard a few footsteps, and then I felt her arms wrap around me. Without hesitation, I hugged her back, hanging my head down over her shoulder and breaking down.
   The tears fell against my will, ugly sobs escaping my throat as I let my emotions take over. I don’t know how long this went on for, all I know is that when I was finished, Elva let go of me and looked into my eyes with a face full of regret.
   “I’m sorry, Clovis,” she apologized, sounding ashamed. “I never meant to upset you.”
   “It’s alright,” I told her, wiping my tears away. “I understand why you were angry.”
   “I still shouldn’t have lashed out at you.”
   “Neither should I have.”
   We both agreed we should get some rest, and settled into our bedrolls for the night.

   In the morning, we spoke nothing of the night before, but Elva seemed in a much better mood than yesterday. We got on our horses and continued heading northwest towards Whitemount. The next few days were much like the first days of our journey, talking and cracking jokes during the day and sparring during the evening. However the closer we got to Whitemount, the more on edge Elva was.
    “Are you alright, Elva?” I asked, the city finally coming into view on the horizon.
    “The King of Whitemount is not a very friendly man,” she sighed, sounding both dreading and annoyed. “Before Vera, he was constantly trying to war with other kingdoms, Faircrest in particular. Something tells me that he only stopped because we finally have a common enemy.”
    “Sounds like a real piece of work,” I chuckled. “Maybe you two should get married, patch things up.”
    “Oh yes, what a wonderful idea,” Elva said sarcastically, laughing.
    We joked about the concept all the way to the city gates, which were closed, like the ones at Bridgefall. The city was much like Faircrest and Blackport, walls and streets built from stone, though it was darker coloured, and the whole city seemed to be smouldering. There was a man standing on top of the wall above the gates, menacingly staring us down as we came to a halt.
    “King Flameguard,” Elva acknowledged the man with a distasteful tone.
    “Queen Frostblade,” the King returned her greeting with the same distaste in his voice.
    “I am Clovis, God chosen Hero,” I mimicked their tones as I, for once, took the lead with speaking. “We are searching for Vera, the demon Queen.”
    The King disappeared in a burst of flames, and reappeared on the ground in front of us the same way. His expression was hard and his eyes were narrowed slightly.
    “She is currently residing in the ruins of The Crimson Mountains,” his tone was unchanged as he spoke.
    “Then it is there we shall go,” I declared.
    “Young Hero, do you know why we call them The Crimson Mountains?” he asked, as if to insult me in some way.
    “I can’t say I do,” I shook my head.
    “Of course not,” he said snottily. “And what about you, Queen Frostblade?”
    “We call them The Crimson Mountains because the rock is stained crimson with the blood of those who dare to venture into them.”
    “If that’s where we must fight her,” I raised my chin slightly. “Then so be it.”
    The King said nothing more, giving Elva and I both a glare before disappearing into flames once again. We exchanged glances, the kind that silently communicated we were both ready. I nodded to her for her to lead the way, and we pushed our horses into a gallop towards The Crimson Mountains. The sounds of their hooves on the ground were rhythmic, an ominous yet strangely calming beat without accompanying music.
   The end was so close I could taste it. I had no idea what to expect for the battle, all I knew was that I was either riding to a glorious victory, or to my death.