part 1

"as you all know, we've been evaluating your performances for a long time now, and now that we've gotten the green light, it's time to choose which of you are going to debut

"as you all know, we've been evaluating your performances for a long time now, and now that we've gotten the green light, it's time to choose which of you are going to debut."

this announcement from the head coach, who was standing next to the ceo and his assistant sent a wave of anticipation through the 40 or so girls sitting in front of them.

"when we say your name, it means that you have been selected to join motif, and will be expected to sign your contract as soon as possible. your debut will be before the end of february, so we have no time to waste."

again, another flutter of excitement ran through the girls, all of whom wanted to hear their name be announced.

"min aecha, ahn heesu, ju liling."

the first three names were announced and all eyes turned to look upon the girls.

"kim soeun, park yeonrin, chwe yiseul."

at this a murmur went through the girls. an 05 liner and a 97 liner in the same group. were they mad?

"lee somi, jo haneul, son yooyeon."

at this, the halfway point, some of the girls started losing hope. some of them had never managed to measure up to the girls who'd been chosen, maybe this would be their last time in the mt entertainment building.

"moon taeri, jeon jieun, hwang yebin."

a sob could be heard in the intervening silence. another girl's dreams closer to being ruined.

"yoo haebyul, shim jihyun, kwon hyewon."

an 06 liner was picked before they were? silent tears joined the sweat on some of the ex-hopefuls' faces.

"yoo mari, yang mirae, lee soojin."

and with those three names left hanging in the air, the rose-tinted glass shattered in the eyes of those to whom the names did not belong.

liling snuck glances at soeun and yebin, her friends with whom she'd now become an idol. yebin was smiling a little, her eyes twinkling with joy, whilst soeun was practically vibrating with happiness.

the selected members had since left the practice room and were sitting in what seemed to be the meeting room for the ceo and other staff members. the atmosphere was intense, some of the girls had had strong dislikes for one another since their first days at the company.