A Funny Feeling / I'm Alive

This would be the first time Mafuyu would be visiting Kanade's home. Cram school finished early, so she was here early. Hopefully Kanade wouldn't mind.

Or she would. Mafuyu didn't care either way.

Honami Mochizuki opened the door. Not Kanade.

Oh. Her housekeeper. Mafuyu remembered that Kanade had mentioned having one.

Her mask. She needed to put on her mask.

She smiled.

"Good evening, Mochizuki. I wasn't aware you would be here."

"Oh, I was just leaving. I didn't know Ms. Yoisaki was having visitors." The brunette wrung her fingers together, her shoulders tense and her eyes unfocused.

"I've just come to discuss something with her. I've been friends with her so long, it's almost silly that I have never even seen the inside of her home." Mafuyu forced a friendly laugh. The pit of her stomach churned with something nasty.

Honami relaxed, a small smile appearing on her face. "Oh, is that so? You must be so busy with your studies so it probably would be hard to set aside some time for your friends, huh?" She shook her head. "Sorry, I'm probably intruding. I'll get out of your way now." She moved out of the doorway, and Mafuyu thanked her for the conversation and went inside, closing the door behind her gently.

The nasty feeling subsided as she let her mask slip away. She can be herself (whoever that is) around Kanade. She looked around, studying the main entrance with acute interest. It was nothing special. Just your standard Japanese home with family photos on the walls and plants tucked away in simple pots and vases. It was very Kanade.

She explored the layout of the home until she happened upon Kanade's room. The door was wide open, and Mafuyu could clearly see Kanade working away at her desk. It looked like she was working hard on another one of her songs. Mafuyu was already intrigued to listen to the finished version. One thing she knew about herself was that she adored Kanade's music.

"Hey." She called softly, reluctant to disturb her flow. Kanade kept working. "Kanade." She called a little louder, and the girl jumped before turning around in her chair.

"Oh. You're early." Kanade smiled and let her legs hang from her chair. "I didn't hear you come in."

"I met Mochizuki at the door." Mafuyu said, stepping around loose papers and other trash to get to Kanade. "Your home is nice."

"Thanks." Kanade pulled up another chair for Mafuyu. Mafuyu sat in it, pulling herself a little closer to Kanade. "Sorry about the mess."

"You have a housekeeper but you don't let her clean your room?" Mafuyu meant it as a joke, but Kanade answered seriously.

"I find it easier to work when I'm by myself, and I can't work if she's in here, so I don't let her. Plus, the mess is kind of comforting. It's like I'm confined to my own space."

Mafuyu nodded, her eye landing on some discarded sheet music. "My mom would kill me if I let my room get this messy."

"It's probably for the best." A small chuckle left Kanade's lips.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Anyway, I wanted to get this done before you got here. Is that alright?" Kanade turned back to her computer, the reflection showing bright in her eyes.

"Of course, don't let me intrude. I think it'd be interesting to see your process." Mafuyu pulled herself a little closer but suddenly paused. "Oh. You said you worked better in solitude. Did you want me to leave the room?"