26. All that ends well

Different individuals react differently to injustice, violations and sufferings. Some attach themselves to the negative behavior of others so much that it brings them down to their levels, while some witness without reacting repeatedly that they are trained to be passive, to be at peace with injustice and then there are a third kind who wage war for justice, who are determined to not let anyone else go through the same plight, without giving an excuse or reason of being weak. Very few think about injustice though not victims, rest all when it happens to them.

Batuk left the place with Indronil, Nilima and Bondita's friends along with the guests as per Somnath's instruction. The lavishly decorated wedding venue lost its charm, it appeared doomed, deceiving many Kalindi had planned to get both her granddaughters married, it was a big question whether even one would be married now. Her stratagem had failed miserably, her family was standing against her, not to mention the worries about the future of the two girls, above all the person who filled her entire life with bitterness was standing in front of her with his happy family, not an ounce of repentance on his face for what he doomed,her heart, her life. She wanted to cry, but her nature wasn't allowing her to do so, one among the many skills she had mastered, her heart was burning. Collecting herself, she asked Thaneshwar and Shangamitra, "So what is your plan now? Your son himself jumped off the yagna bedi and dragged down Arindham Babu also. If the marriages have to happen, it would be both or none."  

"Kalindiji, we came to take your granddaughters as our daughter in-laws and we would certainly go home with them. Forgive our son for his misdeeds, he will rectify his mistakes," said Thaneshwar, the couple joined their hands in front of her. They turned to Chandrachur and he continued, "Beta, this is not just the question of Kalindiji's family's honour but ours too. Don't complicate things further, go to the altar, please," his tone low. 

"No Baba. I do want to marry Tupur, there is no doubt in that. But, if Tapur is to be married to Mama for that, then I better die unmarried."

"Why are you doing this Chandrachur? Is that the way to pay back for all the good that I have done for you? I protected you from all the dangers I went through, made you an equal partner in the family business, always prayed for your well being, and you, when it was time for something good to happen in my life, instead of standing by me, you are standing against me. Why?", asked a furious Arindham, holding his shoulders and shaking them vigorously.

"I agree Mama, you indeed have done a lot for me, but that can't be the reason for the injustice you are going to do by marrying a girl less than even half your age. It is no more mistakes that you are committing, but it has turned to be your behavior, I doubt it would ever change. What would you do after she grows up? Bring another child bride? What you are going to do is wrong ethically, morally and even legally, not just because of your behavior but also because she is a child and not of a marriageable age", answered Chandrachur, the confidence in his voice made Anirudh look at him, it was surprising to find someone with the same thinking like his own among commoners,  Anirudh smiled a little holding Bondita to him.

"There is no law that says he can't marry Tapur. Of course some anti-socials are hell bent to play with the age old customs and traditions, but these marriages are made in heaven. Why otherwise the great Barrister Anirudh Roy Chowdhury would have been here instead of attending the court this morning?", answered Thakuma with equal confidence, her gaze fixed at Anirudh, a sarcastic smile on her lips.

Anirudh stepped in. "Agreed Thakuma, there isn't any such law as of now. But then there is a law, 'Age of consent' which states that the minimum age for girls to consummate marriage is fourteen. The bill was passed long back, more than thirty years ago, less spoken about to fulfil our own selfish motives, to let men rape their wives in the name of marriage. Thakuma, you are a vaid, don't you know the harm little girls are caused by this?" Kalindi covered her ears, widened her eyes and he continued, "You don't even want to hear of the same, yet you are ready to put your daughters through it. Why Thakuma? You are one among the few women who have been able to serve their subjects, when I heard of you the image that appeared in front of my eyes was of Anandibai Joshi, the first female Doctor, a great one. You are one too, you battled the society, you have made a position for yourself, you can make a difference Thakuma."