quarter passed six

I got home a quarter passed six.

At least I had flowers and chocolates to explain as to why I was so late.

I could see the silhouette of McKenzie in the window and a glass in her hand.

Oh, great.

I picked up my gifts and got out.

By the time I was on the porch, McKenzie was standing at the door.

"And where have you been?" she spat out. Her eyes were bloodshot and she was breathing like an animal in pain.

"Well, I was-"

"You're cheating on me, aren't you?" she wailed. "After everything I've done for you, Tristan. This is how you treat me?"

"Babe," I started slowly. "I wasn't cheating on you, I was actually pi-"

"Who is she?" McKenzie screamed. "Who's this hoe you've replaced me with? Tell me now."

I held my gifts out as if they were a peace offerings. " IwaspickingtheseupforyouKenzie. Happy Birthday, baby."

McKenzie's hand darted out from her sides and in one fast motion she slapped the flowers out of my hand. They went flying unto the bushes.

"What was that for?"

"You are fifteen minutes late, you jerk."

She spun around on her heels and stormed into the house slamming the door behind her.

I looked over at the flowers wondering if I should save them from their underserved fate but then decide against it.

I opened the door and walked in, setting the chocolates on the little hallway table. I then followed McKenzie into the living room. She was on the bay window glugging down her vodka.

"Babe, I'm really sorry, I-"

She held up her hand. "Don't."

"Okay. I won't."

"Let me see your phone."

"What?"

"Why are you not giving it to me?" She suddenly jumped to her feet and rushed at me. "Are you hiding something from me? Give me the phone, Tristan."
"Fine." I took my phone out of my pocket and she jerked it from my hand.

"What's your password?"

"It's your name, remember? You changed it to that so you could remember it easier."

She tapped out her name slowly then frowned. "It didn't work."

"The M isn't capitalized."

She retried again and then my phone dinged as it unlocked.

"Who's Kate Monroe?" she demanded almost immediately. 

"That's my client."

"Why is she on your contact list?"

"Sometimes my clients like to call me for whatever reasons."

"Is she married?"

"Happily."

She gave me a suspicious look but continued through. "Who is Nancy Montgomery."

"My receptionist."

"How old is she?"

"Thirty-four."

"Let's see what you have in Google Photos," she muttered.

I was about to sit down when she shrieked. "Tristan, explain yourself."

She shoved the phone in my face. I took a step back to see what she was hyped over.

It was a picture of Laura and I from her swimming party last week. Her husband had taken it while I was giving her a hug and later sent it to my phone. 

It looked bad to be honest. Laura was turned away from the camera so it was only the back of her half naked body that was on show. 

"Who is that, Tristan?" McKenzie yelled. 

"That's Laura, babe. She dyed her hair, remember?"

"When was this taken?"

"At her and Stan's pool party."

"Pool party?" McKenzie echoed. 

"Yes, they invited you but you said 'I have more important things to do than hanging out with your stupid sister and my stupid brother who can both rot in hell' if I remember correctly."

"I don't remember that. You're lying. Why would I say such a thing? I love Laura and Stan."

I sighed. "Babe, I don't know, okay?"

You were probably going off to see Dallas or something. 

She threw my phone at me in disgust and walked back to the bay window.

"What's bothering you, sweetheart?" I asked sitting down beside her. "You look so stressed."

She moved away making a large gap between us.

"Like you care."

"But that's the thing, baby. I do care."

"Leave me alone. I know you're cheating on me but you hide it so well. You're making me look like a senile woman when in reality I know what I'm talking about. I'm not crazy, Tristan."

"I know, babe," I cooed pulling her close to me.

She shoved me back. "So you admit it? You are cheating on me?"

"No, I'm not."

"If you were Pinocchio, your nose would be this long." McKenzie opened her arms as wide as they could go. "Your such a liar, Tristan. I should have listened to my Mom when she warned me about you. You are toxic. What next? Are you going to commit me to an asylum?"

"I would never do that, M-"

"Shut up, you good-for-nothing."

She stood up again and made a b-line for the stairs. Once she was gone I grabbed my hair in all ten of my fingers and pulled as hard as I could. 

Vote, comment, thank you. 💋