Chapter One

March 22nd 1986

3:47 AM

Byers house, Will's room

Will had been thrashing around in his bed while muttering incoherently. Suddenly, he woke up with a gasp. He sat up covered in sweat. He checked the clock on his nightstand and groaned

3:47 AM

Will flung the covers off of his sweaty body and left his room. He walked upstairs into the living room and snuck up the stairs to the bathroom.

He washed his face and opened the mirror to reveal the medicine cabinet. Joyce always being worried for her kids had a practically overflowing cabinet of all different types of medicines.

"I can't believe this shit.." He muttered.

He grabbed a bottle of Aspirin and opened it. He dumped two pills on his hand and ran it under the faucet water.

"Again..." He scoffed, rolling his eyes.

He put the pills in his mouth and quickly swallowed them.

He quietly went down the stairs and into the kitchen. He grabbed the bottle of orange juice from the refrigerator and a cup. He sat in the kitchen drinking the juice slowly for about a half hour before he went back to bed.

It's nights like this when Will honestly wishes he could turn back time and go back to before he went missing. Still in Hawkins, still with his friends, still happy.

He covered up under his thick blankets and closed his eyes, trying to ignore the pounding in his head. Although he didn't get an easy night's rest. Mike's voice rang in his head all night.

"El's not stupid!"

"It's not my fault you don't like girls!"

"I'm not tryna be a jerk"

"What did you think? That we were never gonna get girlfriends?"

"It's not my fault you don't like girls!"

"Not my fault you don't like girls!"

"-My fault you don't like girls!"

That stung Will the most. Mike had no idea about Will's secret so he couldn't blame him for saying that, but Will still wished Mike had chosen his words carefully that day.

•••••

The rain was pouring outside the garage and landing on the ground in puddles. It was the middle of the day but the sky was dark and gray. It perfectly cast Will's mood in the moment.

The door swung open that led from the Wheelers' kitchen to their garage and Will stormed out with a frown on his face. Mike followed closely behind, equally as angry.