Chapter Three

TW: homophobia, slurs, mentions of blood, bullying, panic attacks.

(Sorry for the sudden change in tone)

March 22nd 1986
3:45 PM
Rink-o-mania

Will was sitting there, picking softly at cotton candy while El and Mike sat across from him. They'd been here for hours and Will felt miserable. He's been third-wheeling all day and no one has paid any attention to him.

What makes it worse is that today is his birthday. He was hoping that maybe all morning everyone had been planning to surprise him or were just tricking him about not knowing it was his birthday.

He couldn't have been more wrong. He was sitting at a booth across from El and Mike who were trying each other's smoothies. He had his headphones in to drown them out and rubbed his temples to fight off his headache,

He inhaled sharply and sadly looked down, only looking up after faintly hearing a voice. One he and El had grown to hate.

"Hello?!" They gasp.

He gulped and quickly paused his music. He took off his headphones and shared a scared look with El as Angela came over to them..

"Oh where, oh where have you been hiding this handsome thing?" Angela asked, leaning down to stare at Mike, a smirk on her face.

"Uh-" El began.

"Wh-Who are you?" Mike questioned.

"Angela. And you are?"

"Mike. It's great to finally meet some of El-" Mike gulps, "Jane's friends." Mike quickly corrects, shaking Angela's hand.

Angela scoffed as Will put his head down. He tried to avoid eye contact with the bully but failed when she chuckled evilly and dropped Mike's hand. She wiped it off, disgusted, on her shorts before turning to Will.

"Oh- and look at the little Byers!" She teased, giggling.

She poked Will which made him slap her hand gently. He looked up from the table and stared at her with a frown on his face.

"Aww... Poor boy, he's probably grumpy because he's a third wheel on his birthday.." Angela teased in a baby voice.

These were times when Will wished he was still friends with Angela. At least she remembered his birthday! But, he didn't want to be friends with someone as cruel and evil as her.

Not anymore.

"What?" Mike and El asked, their eyebrows furrowing.

"Aww! Look!" Angela laughs, and her friends snicker and cover their mouths, "They forgot.. Just to let you know, Will..." Angela leaned closer and her mouth was just inches away from Will's ear, "I wouldn't forget your birthday." She whispered.

Will shivered and Angela jumped back. Mike and El kept glancing between her and Will with wide eyes and open mouths.

"Here! I'll take you for a birthday skate!" She smiled.