Chapter Five

March 22nd 1986

6:49 PM

Byers' house, dining room

When Will pushed passed Joyce she turned to the others with a look of worry.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Will's not in the best mood.." El replied, sighing.

El felt bad for treating Will poorly, she knew how Angela was and knew he couldn't help his anger sometimes. She had no right to ignore him today.

"He'll be fine. Is dinner ready?" Jonathan asked.

"Should be... And we got a 'special' guest." Joyce smiled.

"Who?" Argyle asked.

"Not you," Joyce responded, shaking her head.

Argyle frowned. He had no idea who this person was.

"Hey-hey!" They heard from the kitchen.

"Oh God.." El muttered.

"Hey, Murray!" Jonathan giggled and waved.

"Hey, guys!" He called, waving from the kitchen.

7:28 PM

Will had changed his clothes and was silently eating his food at the dinner table. Murray was telling everybody the story about his arrival. Will knew he had seen a familiar-looking man earlier today at the airport.

"And as soon as I got out the taxi I thought- 'Hey, wait a second! Didn't they Byers move here?'" Murray laughed.

"It's a Small world isn't it?" Joyce asks, looking around at the unimpressed faces at the dinner table, "It's a small world."

"Yeah, so I stopped by to say hello!" Murray shoves a bunch of food into his mouth and chuckles.

"Well we're glad to have you here..." Joyce began.

Murray gave her a look from across the table and she muttered 'right..' before clearing her throat.

"So um- guys?" She asked.

Mike, Will, and El looked up at her, silent.

"I just realized today... That I have to go... o-on a..." She stared at Murray as he tried to rush her on, she couldn't think.

"A- uhm... business trip! My old friends are gonna meet me there. So I won't be here for a couple of days." She said.

"Where?" El asked.

"Uhm.. Alaska.." She said. Looking down and poking her rice.

"What?!" El shouted, dropping her fork.

"Alaska?!" Will repeated, his mouth full of food.

"Yes! I'll be gone for around three days, so Jonathan, you know you'll need to be in charge while I'm gone." Joyce said.

Jonathan looked up, confused. His eyes were bloodshot, his hair was a mess, and his clothes were all wrinkly.

"Huh? Wh-what? What's going on?" He asked, shoving food into his mouth.

Murray raised his eyebrow, smirking.

"Oh my God..." Will muttered, facepalming.

"Your mom's goin' to Alaska," Argyle whispered not-so-quietly.

"Alaska? Wh-what's in Alaska?"

"Your mom's going on a business trip, meeting some friends there.."

"Oh.."

There was an awkward silence as no one knew what else to say. Everyone at the dinner table went back to silently eating before Argyle cleared his throat loudly.

"Dude, some girl got schmacked at the roller rink today," Argyle said.

"Schmacked?" Murray asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yeah, but it wasn't an ice skate it was a normal skate," He said, shoving salad into his mouth.

"Yeah, it-it was plastic- but not the hard plastic," Jonathan said.

"The soft kind," Argyle added on.

"Yeah.. the-the soft..." Jonathan trailed off and instead just shoved more food into his mouth.

"Huh?" El asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

"The-... Sorry- what were we talking about?" He asked, inhaling sharply.

"Oh my God.." Will muttered again while shaking his head.

"Jonathan.. What the hell's wrong with you?!" Joyce asked, looking him up and down suspiciously.

"I think I know," Murray smirked, again.

"We've uh- had a stressful day.." Jonathan cleared his throat.

"Stressful day, huh?" Murray asked, still smirking.

"Yeah.." Jonathan sighed, hanging his head.

"Jonathan decided he-" Argyle was cut off by Jonathan slapping his arm.

"The girl should be okay.." He said instead, bringing up the incident at the skating rink again.

"She didn't look okay," Mike mumbled, pushing his food around his plate with his fork.

Will and El turned to glare at Mike in unison with wide eyes and frowns. Without a second thought, Will slammed his fork down on his plate and pushed his chair out.

"Will, honey. What's wrong?" Joyce asked, her eyes widening at her son's unusual behavior.

Will just got up and left the table, holding back tears as he stormed down the stairs into his bedroom.

"Aren't you gonna finish your-" Will's already gone, "Okay..." Joyce said, sadly sighing.

Will slammed his door shut with a lot of force before he lay down on his bed. He lay on his side and grabbed a pillow, crying quietly into it, until he fell asleep.

(A/n QUICK DISCLAIMER THIS DOES INVOLVE VOLUME 2!! BUT I WANNA SAY: EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO MAX AND SOME STUFF THAT HAPPENS TO EL IS GONNA HAPPEN TO WILL, INSTEAD. SO WHAT HAPPENS TO MAX IN VL 2 IS WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN TO WILL. DW OUR BABY SHOULD BE OKAY!! DEPENDS ON MY MOOD. :) ALSO I'M PRETTY SURE 90% OF THE CHAPTERS ARE GONNA HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH VECNA!!)