two.

We got a parking spot on the street directly in front of the teahouse that Chuu had recommended. She had remarked about how nice my car was, a Mercedes SUV, and I felt a little self-conscious about it the entire ride. I know I shouldn't have been embarrassed about making money, but Chuu and I were from different worlds. Despite the fact that she worked for an IT consultancy that serviced corporate clients like my company, she was still a little bit counter-culture in her geeky hipness. She was just getting started in her career, and I was beginning the rise to the top of mine

After rushing from the car to the teahouse, braving the January cold, the two of us busted into the door and were hit with a comforting warmth. The teahouse was casual and laid-back, with comfortable couches and cushions, tapestries, and flowing drapes abounding in the cafe. It was a long space, looking as though there were two rooms in the teahouse. 

Chuu ordered tea for both of us and then lead me over to some cushions on the floor, separated by a low table. I honestly felt a little out of place in my corporate casual attire, while Chuu fit right in looking relaxed bohemian. After taking her wool coat off and letting it slide to the floor against the wall next to our seating area, she let her scarf remain around her neck and adjusted her glasses with a smile in my direction. 

"Do we have to go up and get the tea?" I asked. "Or should we just sit down?" 

"We can sit," she said, sitting down onto the cushion. "They'll bring the tea over." 

And it wasn't much longer until the tea was delivered by a young guy with a thin beard and long hair twisted up in a bun. The two of us smiled up at him as he squatted to place the tea on our table, thanking him. 

Chuu poured our small cups from the white ceramic kettle, being careful not to spill. 

"This is dragon pearl jasmine," she said. "It comes in little hand-rolled pearls. Very floral and sweet."

"I have to say," I said, picking up my cup and taking a small sip. "I didn't expect to end up at a teahouse after work on a Friday. But I'm happy I'm here," I said with a smile. "It's good." I lowered my cup back to the saucer on the table. 

"Yeah, it's one of my favorites," said Chuu.

"So don't be offended," I began, tilting my head to the side and wondering if I should actually say what I was about to say. "Are you, like, a geeky hipster type girl?"

Chuu laughed. "Yeah, I guess," she said. "I'm just who I am, though."

"I know," I said. "I don't mean to try to fit you into some box. I just don't get much social interaction these days so I'm a bit out of touch."

"It's cool," said Chuu. "I'm not mad. But it does prompt me to want to ask you a question." 

"Go for it," I said with an accepting grin. "Ask away."

"How old are you?" she said. "That's not rude, is it?"

"No," I said. "That's fine. I'm 25. How old are you?" 

"I'm 22," said Chuu. "Not that far apart."

"No," I mused, the tea and Chuu's demeanor warming me up.

She looked really cute sitting across from me in her thin little t-shirt and scarf. I couldn't help but give a bit of a blushing smile as I looked at her.

"I like your name," said Chuu. "It was my grandmother's name"

"That's an interesting coincidence," I said.

"I started going by Chuu in college," she said. "I guess Kim Ji-Woo just felt too formal to me."

"Well, going by Chuu makes it cute," I said with a small laugh. Chuu smiled. 

We shared a moment of silence in the conversation. That's how it always is, isn't it? That awkward, getting-to-know-you conversation is usually peppered with some silence as you consider what's next.

"Is it weird to be out with a client of yours?" I asked. "I don't mean to make it weird by saying that, I'm just interested." 

"A little," said Chuu. "But not really. Everything is a little weird to me, so I guess that makes nothing weird ultimately." We both laughed softly together.

"I guess that's a good attitude to have," I said. I brought my cup up and took a sip of tea.

"Hey Yves," said Chuu, chewing a bit on her lip. "I have a hunch and I just want to get it out there." 

"All right," I said.

"You're a lesbian, right?" she said. Her face was trepidatious but serious.

"Yes," I said. "I am."

"Okay," said Chuu. "I mean, I thought you were. I just wasn't totally sure." Chuu removed her black frames from her face and wiped the lenses off with her t-shirt, then replaced them back atop her nose. 

"Are you?" I asked cautiously, widening my eyes. 

"Mm hmm," she affirmed.

I suddenly felt a great sense of relief. I was uncertain up to that point about Chuu. I didn't want to offend her or get into an awkward situation. Smiling to myself, I pressed on and tried to remember how to better flirt. It had been a while for me. 

"What got you into computers?" I asked. Chuu looked away and her face showed a bit of embarrassment. 

"I just..." she began. "I've always been a bit of a computer geek. Throughout my teenage years and stuff. It was natural for me." 

"That's cool," I said. "It's impressive. I'm all right with them, but definitely not good enough to do what you do." 

"It's pretty easy for me," she admitted. I could tell talking about her nerdiness made her shy. 

"I think it's great," I said, reaching across the table and lightly touching her hand. Chuu's eyes slowly returned to our conversation and I could tell she was blushing.

After finishing our tea, Chuu admitted to me that she was scheduled to play her game later that evening and had to head home. As we hung together near the doorway of the teahouse, we exchanged numbers and my heart fluttered. I was feeling rather infatuated with her. At that moment, I was glad we hadn't gone out for drinks because I knew I would have been tempted to drink, tried to press her into hanging out even later, with the idea of perhaps accelerating things too quickly. I knew myself well and that was one of the reasons I tried to avoid drinking alcohol. The teahouse had been a wonderful option.

"It was nice getting to know you, Yves," she said, leaning forward and hugging me. 

"You too," I said, returning her hug. "Maybe we could get together again sometime?

"Totally," said Chuu. "Text me."

"All right," I smiled, shaking my phone before slipping it into my pocket."Oh, do you need a ride?" 

"No," she said. "I live just a couple blocks away. I guess I sorta tricked you into driving to my neighborhood." I laughed.

"Are you sure?" I reiterated. "It's cold."

"I'll be fine." 

"Okay," I said. I couldn't help myself and I leaned in to hug her again, our big soft winter coats pushing against one another as we embraced. "Stay warm." 

"Have a good night," said Chuu with a smile, giving me a little wave before slipping a wool cap on her head and pushing out of the teahouse door, walking into the chilly winter evening, disappearing quickly into the darkness. 

I sighed to myself. I missed Chuu already and the usual loneliness began to set in.