Entries 8-10

Aug. 8, 1891

This morning I made my way through the forested areas of the island. I saw nothing alarming nor resembling any ghosts. Perhaps I must wait until the night falls, but I doubt it will make a difference. I will admit that that is something greatly off about this island. It is eerily silent. I have not heard a single bird chirp, no animals of any kind. Not even so much as the rustle of branches in the breeze, although come to think of it, I have not yet felt a breeze of any kind. A silent island must hold secrets. With any luck I can uncover them.

I woke up with a start in the middle of the night. I heard the first noise that I have heard all day. It almost sounds like wailing or sobbing. Like a child crying out, yet like a woman in mourning. I must explore this sound in the morning.

Aug 9, 1891

I traipsed every inch of this small island. I saw no signs of human life and nothing to account for the wailing I heard last night. I cannot make heads or tails of the noise. Perhaps my mind played tricks on me and I imagined it due to the childish stories of the crewmen. I shall see if I hear the sound again tonight.

Again, tonight I heard the wailing. It woke me from my slumbers just as it did last night. I cannot leave exploring this noise for the morning. I must do it now.

As I was searching for the source of the noise, I approached one of the huts. The sound grew stronger so I entered it. But just as it was this afternoon, there is nothing here to suggest life and the wailing has stopped. It stopped upon my entry to the hut. This is most curious.

Aug 10, 1891

Upon exploring the island further, I have discovered that there are caves in the rocks behind the waterfalls. I happened upon them after uncharacteristically losing my balance. I fell from one of the cliffs and into the water. I swam to the side and saw something in the rock. I moved closer and saw that it was a cave.

I explored the caves. All three of them. I saw no signs to indicate that any person or thing that could have made the noise I heard. I shall spend tonight in the cave in order to assess them further.

Yet again, I have been awakened by the wailing noise. I see nothing in the cave I have spent the night in that might have uttered a sound. I realize now, that there are again no sounds at all on this island. Not even the waterfall makes a sound as it hits the water. I cannot understand what is making that damned noise.

*****Hope you enjoyed these selections******