15: Hot Springs

It was Mitsuri Kanroji at the hot springs.

Aiko and Nezuko spent some time with the Love Hashira. She was so kind, with a smile that could melt your worries away. The Hashira was overjoyed to see them and told them all about her last mission. She rambled on about the tasty places to eat, too, at the Swordsmith Village. While she talked, she braided Aiko's hair.

Nezuko was splashing around, listening along.

Aiko had always thought Mitsuri's hair was so pretty, pink fading to green and pulled into three braids. It reminded her of the sakura mochi that the Love Hashira loved so much. When Mitsuri finished, Aiko felt very pretty with the three braids in her too.

"Pretty! Like Kanroji-san!"

Mitsuri squeals and pulls the demon into a hug. "Oh, you're so sweet! Speaking of!" She pulls away with a huff. "Listen to this, girls! There's this guy at the hot spring too and he's so mean. I tried to say hi and ask his name and he ignored me!"

Nezuko sneezed after getting water in her nose accidentally.

"Mean!" Aiko agreed with a frown.

Mitsuri huffed indignantly. "I know, right? How rude! I'm a Hashira, I just want to get to know all the Demon Slayers and he ignored me?!" Now remembering the rude encounter, her tranquil mood was ruined. "Anyway, I'm sad about it. I think I'll get some food to help me feel better." She steps out and wraps herself in a towel. "Girls, surely, Tanjiro is here too, right?"

Nezuko hums and smiles.

"How nice! I'll go and find him! Maybe he'll want to join me for dinner. Do you want to come?"

Aiko looked at Nezuko and the girl sunk under the water in response. That was a no - Let's stay here. So Aiko declined Mitsuri's offer. "No, thank you. Tell Aniki we stay swim."

"Will do! Enjoy your soak!" 

Mitsuri's presence was quickly missed. She carried around a bright aura and a sweet scent everywhere she went. Now the Hot Spring felt somber without her. But peaceful too. Aiko lay back and floated with her eyes shut, allowing every ache and pain to drain from her body.

Ponk.

Aiko returns to her feet.

She swims over to the other end of the spring and investigates the noise. Something had plopped into the water from the air. She picks up a little, white thing - a tooth?! Climbing out, she peers over the fence to the boys side of the hot spring. On the other side was Genya, fingers poking at the gap where his tooth once was. Why would he throw his tooth over the fence like that? Aiko didn't stop to question it, leaping over the fence and splashing into his side of the springs.

"Genya ~"

"EEEEEEEHHHHHHH."

His loud yell seems to shake the Earth but Aiko was used to it. She wraps him in a hug, pressing her face to his chest. It wasn't her first time seeing him shirtless but she always admired his physique. Training with Gyomei had filled the tall Slayer out nicely and what Aiko really liked was his scars. Each unique, each told a story. She nuzzled his damp, warm skin.

"You came! Aniki here too! And Kanroji-san!"

Aiko was so excited to have so many precious people to her around. She wanted to enjoy the hot springs with them all.

Nezuko peers over the fence and waves brightly.

"Oh! And Nezuko!" Aiko added but that was a given. Her and Nezuko weren't often apart.

Genya hadn't moved a muscle. He was stiff as a statue in her hug, eyes squeezed shut and face bright red. Aiko is ... He could feel her body pressed against his and she was definitely not wearing a towel. The Love Hashira had approached him with a robe on at least but even that was too much for him. Genya was too scared to talk to girls. Aiko was only his friend because the girl was too stupid to leave him alone.

No. Aiko's not stupid - she's too kind for her own good. So kind and pure of heart that she doesn't realize being naked like this is weird. She thinks it's normal because she bathes with her sister like this but - What if it wasn't me here? What if a pervert was bathing and decided to spy on Aiko? Who's too stupidly nice to realize -

Genya's inner turmoil is interrupted by Tanjiro.

The boy is excited to see Genya and beams.

"Long time no see, Genya! How have you been?" Tanjiro greets.

Genya shrieks and pushes Aiko away gruffly, hand pressed to his eyes to show his good intent. "I SWEAR IT ISN'T WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE."

Aiko swims over the edge of the hot spring and Tanjiro leans down to pat her head. "Wow, your hair is so pretty! Did Kanroji-san braid your hair like that?"

"Mhm!"

"Where's Nezuko-chan?"

"MHM!"

"Oh, there you are! Did you both have fun?"

"Hmmhm!"

"Hey, Genya-san. You know what, your last name is the same as the Wind Hashira! Are you -"

"DON'T TALK TO ME!" Genya pushes Tanjiro's head into the water. All of them! The entire Kamado family - so stupidly good natured. Tanjiro didn't even seem concerned to see him in the same water as Aiko ... naked. "LEAVE ME ALONE!" Idiots.

Tanjiro emerges, coughing out water. "I just - I," he gasps for air, "wanted to ask if you'd join us for food. My sisters, me, Kanroji-san. The villagers prepared a meal and -"

"NO!"

"Genya ~" Aiko pouts, latching onto his side. "That's no fun! Food is more tasty together."

He faltered but didn't break. Calmer, he said, "No. Leave me alone. I want to bathe, got that?" His eyes were still squeezed shut, silently telling everyone he wasn't a pervert but none of the Kamado's seemed to notice or mind. These guys are seriously strange.

"Okay." He can sense that Aiko is pouting, though he can't see it. Genya crouches in the water, eyes shut until he hears and senses that Aiko and her sister have gone to get dressed.

Unfortunately, Tanjiro is still here.

He opens his eyes and glares at him.

"I said go away."

"You're really close with Aiko-chan, aren't you? She talks about you a lot." Genya's face, still red from Aiko's hug, couldn't darken anymore. He hoped it looked like a product of the hot water. "I'm happy to see Aiko have so many friends. She really likes you, Genya-san."

"Likes me ... how?"

With a knowing smile, Tanjiro gets out and heads in the direction his sisters went.

"Wait - answer the question!"

The one time I want the bastard to talk and he doesn't, Genya scowls to himself. He sinks further into the water, every muscle more tense than ever before. He ached more than any fight he'd ever been in. Besides, it's not like it matters. We could die any day, in any battle and it's not like I stand a chance anyway. Aiko would be better off not liking me at all. I'm nothing special. 

Damn am I stupid.

How could I let myself fall for such a dense girl?

There's no way a girl that strong, kind and pretty would ever like a jerk like me. Why did I let Tanjiro's words get my hopes up?

Idiot.