chapter five

Today seemed to be filled with bittersweet silence

  Today seemed to be filled with bittersweet silence. Julianna didn't approach either of us until our departure,and even then she wasn't truly present. She kept her light brown eyes focused on the ground and she seemed to become entranced with her black glittery heels. She gave us a simple bow and a half-hearted "bye" before running back into the castle.  Both Lydia and I stood completely shocked and entered the carriage in totally confusion. 

    "Lydia did we do something to her?" She shook her head while spacing out. Her head rested diligently on the palm of her hand while tapping her lips with her pointer finger. She looked stressed and overthinking. I gently grabbed her chin and guided her to face me. Lydia hummed and raised an eyebrow at me before wrapping her arm around my stomach. Her warm arms seemed to bring in a light glow around us. As the king of Gaiaterreria, where there wasnt truly a special ability giving to us. It truly took some time to get used to being around so much magic. Yet when I do see Lydia's magic its as if my anxiety and worries fade like the darkness as the sun rises. 

    That is exactly what Lydia did on the carriage ride to the light palace.  As much as I wanted to keep thinking about the way Julianna left, I couldn't. I can't hold it over her head, she doesn't even know about us being her soulmates. Plus she had a really rough few days so I completely understand that everything is a bit crazy right now. 

  Once Lydia and I arrived to the Light palace, I gently grabbed her hand as she lead me through the halls that I have walked a million times. Yet every time my pinky finger latches with hers, her smile brightens and she says "Its like a promise." Without ever finishing her sentence I always knew what she meant.  However as we venture down the hall and the old paintings passed by, our fingers didn't lock. She didn't smile, her expression was one I only saw when she was in royal meetings. It lacked any emotion and held back any weaknesses. 

   "Lydia lovely, whats the matter?" I grabbed her hand and ran my thumb over the hill of her knuckles. She stopped walking, pivoting on her left leg to look me at me. Her jade green eyes locked onto mine yet she didn't say anything. She simply pulled me into another hug this time with a greater squeeze and a soft sigh. Her voice was lighter than a feather as she mumbled against my chest "What if she doesn't come around." Oh, how silly of me to think I was the only one torn up about this. Instead of replying my hand left her hip and went to her head. Gently petting her beautiful golden twisted locks.   

   "Lydia, she just needs time. She has a lot to adjust to. We will tell her when she is more comfortable in her current position. She will probably go to the Royal council meetings when she has finished her classes and adjustment." With that Lydia's head tilted up too look at me, a small glimmer of hope arose in those eyes of hers. The golden eye shadow seemed to make them even brighter against her dark copper skin, she seemed to grow happier when she realized the Royal council meets every week. 

   "Rowan! Do you think she will show up this week?" She asked trying to keep her voice mellow but the excitement peeked through every word.  I "hmm" and shrugged. "There is a good chance but she could always wait some time." My sweet Lydia's smile was back to being present on her face and just like a domino effect a smile washed over my lips. She slowly pulled away and took my hand in hers, our fingers locked.  

   We continued the journey through the palace's seemingly endless halls and to the painting room. Though this used to be Lydia's tea room, she redesigned it saying " The royal theatrics aren't for me." so it was changed to a painting room. This was a shared hobby of ours though i truly only do it to watch her be at peace. 

  Her brush strokes were precise and thought out, while my little stick figure that sorta looked like a potato stuck out from the white canvas. I am a terrible painter, but I would do anything for Lydia. 

   She glides across the room, as if as soon as she steps into the room she becomes relaxed and confident. Lydia gently sat on the dark wooden chair that matched the easel in front of her. She looked onto the small desk space at her dark green paint covered apron. With a quick glance at me she presses down her dress and ties the apron over the delicate fabrics. Lifting her well manicured hand she picked up the brush and I watched as her shoulders became less tense. 

   As I said, its a beautiful sight when a relaxed smile washed over her face. Instead of actually painting this time I grabbed a book from one of the corner stacks that I had placed earlier.  I took a seat on the floor close to her but far enough so I wouldn't get in the way. With one last look at my gorgeous wife, my eyes darted to the cover, it was poetry my favorite genera. While my eyes scanned through the letters I listened to her soft hums of concentration and the paint brush running over the canvas.  

   With the balcony doors open wide, the soft breeze flowed through the room as the sun began to set. To me I would love nothing more than to stay in this angelic place with my absolutely gorgeous wife, yet that simply couldn't happen. Not with my luck.