Chapter 1

Leni's POV
I just graduated from University of the Philippines when I decided to go home in my hometown in Naga, Camarines Sur.

It was 1986— months after EDSA. I was very active in participating EDSA activities. Kaya pag-uwi ko ng Naga for what is supposed to be "my summer vacation" before I'll go to law school, I asked my dad— who is a judge if I could work in a government agency. Luckily, pumayag naman yung daddy ko. Nag apply ako sa Bicol River Basin Development Program kasi a friend of mine told me na maganda daw doon at tsaka maganda ang pamamalakad ng bagong boss.

Sabi ng isa kong kaibigan na pamangkin daw nang Governor yung head kaya without any hesitation, I ask my dad if he could ask for an endorsement letter for me to use sa pag apply ko sa bagong trabaho ko.

My dad went home with the endorsement letter and that adds to my confidence para matanggap sa inaapplyan kong trabaho.

The next day, it was Monday morning of June 1986 I found myself sitting in the waiting area of the head's office. There's only two person outside— me and the other girl who's also applying for the job.

Jesse' POV
I was a junior executive at San Miguel Corporation in Manila. Right after EDSA, I decided to go home to NAGA and work in a government agency having the desire to serve my fellow Nagueños and Bicolanos.

I was hired as the head in Bicol River Basin Development Program.

One morning, at around 7:45 I have seen two ladies outside my office. They're the ones applying for a job as Economic Researchers.

I called them one by one. The last woman that I got to interview is named "Maria Leonor Gerona". What a beautiful name. I was surprise when I saw an endorsement letter at the top of her application forms which kinda make me feel a little disappointed.

This girl is fighting and was active during the EDSA yet she forgot the purpose of what she is fighting for.

Without many words, I asked her "What is this for, Leonor?" and she has this questionable face basically was curious of what I am looking at or what my question is all about.

Leni's POV
"ahmmm... a... an... endorsement letter, sir" I can't say the words properly when I realize that what he is referring to is the endorsement letter that came from his uncle— from the governor.

Para akong binuhusan ng malamig na tubig nong sabihin nya sakin "Don't you know that this is a different time? Don't you know that that's what we are fighting for during EDSA? "

Kahit napapahiya ako there is this admiration to the man in front of me. He is truly an exemplary leader! No doubt yung sinabi ng kaibigan ko na maayos yung boss dito.