Summer Break

The estate was on the outskirts of the Greater Los Angeles area. It didn't look like it would be much of a challenge. There were three residents, Dale and Stacey Yorke, as well as a daughter, Gertrude. The daughter was out and there were no signs of security. Given that recovering advanced technology was part of the mission, there was much more than met the eye.

King Bedlam looked over the team. Of them all – Prodigy, Prometheus, Magma and Jetstream – he only thought much of Prometheus. Prodigy was friendly with Magik, which made him an enemy in Bedlam's eyes. Jetstream was almost a non-entity among the Hellions and he had little faith in his abilities. Magma was powerful, but the turmoil over discovering the truth about her life had left her an unknown. The girl from Nova Roma would have done whatever needed doing, but there was uncertainty regarding the Italian.

"We hit them hard and fast," Bedlam said. "Prometheus and I will lead with a mental assault. Magma, do whatever damage you can. Jetstream, blast into the ceiling. Prodigy, stay back here until we need your help with the tech."

"This is your plan," Magma asked.

"Quick and easy. You got a problem with it?"

"My problem is that this plan has no merit. If the White Queen wanted mindless destruction, she would have sent Hellfire Club mercenaries. We are tools, but not blunt instruments. The object is precision."

"I was put in charge!"

"Consider yourself relieved."

"What? You can't do that!"

"Prodigy?"

Without direction, Prodigy hit King Bedlam at the base of his neck in such a way that he went down.

"We do this my way," Magma said. "Prometheus, scan the area for trouble. There may be psi-shielding in place, but it will likely be focused on the inhabitants. I assume you can penetrate most of that shielding. The blind spots will most likely be our targets. Jetstream, I want aerial reconnaissance. Report on your findings. Prodigy, I will take you right to the front door. We want to minimize damage so you need to hack the security systems. We have to assume they'll know we're here before we get inside but I will be your cover. Bedlam, stay behind until you're needed."

King Bedlam was still stunned by Prodigy's move. He had no idea of the true capabilities of Prodigy or Magma, assuming them to be beneath him. Now he was paying for that ignorance by losing control of the mission, or even having the ability to participate. His ego had left him incapable and even Prometheus followed Magma, seeing that her plan was far superior to Bedlam's own.

Jetstream shot off into the air. He circled around the area but took care not to get too close. He didn't have any trouble seeing since he had been given retinal implants that allowed for telescopic and night vision. They had originally been intended to protect Jetstream's eyes from wind friction but it made sense to add additional capabilities.

::I see no signs of security forces,:: Jetstream communicated to Magma via Prometheus's telepathy. ::There are sensors near the entrances and around the perimeter but you are not in range of them yet.::

::Thank you, Jetstream:: Magma responded. ::Prometheus?::

::I think they're... Jetstream, does the visual I'm sending you seem like the living room?::

::I believe so,:: came the reply.

::That's where they are. There's something else in there, too. I don't know what it is. It's smarter than an animal but not as complex as a human. It's difficult to pinpoint the location. Maybe in the basement.::