* Chapter One *

I groaned as I looked at my friend Jordan who was sun-baked red and laughing at my horrendous attempts at serving the volleyball. "Don't forget, you're the one who asked for my help knowing I'm shit at sports," I said while rolling my eyes and plopping down on the hot sand that was sticking to whatever bare skin was out due to the sweat from practicing volleyball all day.

"Come on Mari, we still have fifteen minutes left! Also, isn't your cousin coming over from Canada?" Jordan asked before grabbing her hydro flask with personalized stickers decorated on it. "What does that have to do with volleyball?" I asked, finally standing up and dusting the sand off of my legs and thighs. I was about to toss in a sly complaint until I saw him. He seemed pretty tall, with golden brown skin, and medium-length dark black hair that was split in the middle, his hair was super curly and looked soft, and he had a slit in his eyebrow. I noticed he was with what looked to be his mother and two younger siblings.

"Okay, fine, we can end fo-" I immediately cut Jordan off. "Can we stay a little longer? Like thirty more minutes?" I asked her while trying not to seem suspicious. "Uhm...sure?" Jordan seemed a bit taken aback by my question but grabbed the volleyball. Jordan served me the volleyball which I managed to hit, but it still hit the net. "Wow...you need extra practice.." Jordan said, trying to hold back laughter. "Hey! At least I hit it in the air this time" I said with a small groan. "Yeah! At least she hit it in the air!" I turned around to see that guy from a few moments ago giving me a small smile, within that small moment I was able to take in his dark brown eyes and amazing smile which made me melt.

"Oooooh, okay I understand now." Jordan randomly said chiming in. "You sneaky little shit, you win this time." Jordan attempted to sound disappointed but she was amused at the moment. Unfortunately, before I could say anything else the guy had left. I felt an urge in my chest to find him. Plus, I wanted to start a conversation with him..Even if it was short.

"So...are we finishing practice or heading home?" I looked at Jordan and sighed before I began getting back into position and back to practice.