Steamed Tofu with Chicken Stock

"There's chicken oil on top of the tofu. It's very tender, and aids in digestion." (Episode 1)

(AN: This isn't an exact recipe, but it is the closest I could find to the actual dish.)

Original website: https://thewoksoflife.com/chicken-soft-tofu-casserole/

Ingredients

For the Chicken and Marinade

     - 8 ounces of boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced into 1-inch/2.5 cm bite-size pieces

     - 1 tablespoon of water

     - 1 teaspoon of cornstarch

     - 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil

     - 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce

For the rest of the dish

     - 4 medium-size dried shiitake mushrooms (about 0.5 ounces or 15 grams of shiitake mushrooms)

     - 2 cups of hot water to soak the mushrooms

     - 1 pound of soft tofu

     - 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, mixed into a slurry with 2 tablespoons/30 ml of water

     - 1 cup of low-sodium chicken stock

     - 1/2 teaspoon of sugar

     - 1 1/2 tablespoons of oyster sauce

     - 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce

     - 1/2 teaspoon of dark soy sauce

     - 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil

     - 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

     - 2 slices of ginger

     - 2 scallions, sliced on a sharp diagonal into 2-inch/ 5cm lengths, white and green parts separated

     - 3 cloves of garlic, sliced

     - 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine

     - 1/3 cup of frozen peas

     - 1 pinch of salt, or to taste

Directions

1) In a small bowl, add the diced chicken, 1 tablespoon of water, cornstarch, oil, and oyster sauce. Mix well and set aside.

2) Rinse the dried shiitake mushrooms and soak them in 2 cups of hot water for at least 2 hours (you could also soak these overnight in cold water if you're thinking ahead). Trim the stems off the shiitake mushrooms and thinly slice them.

3) Cut the block of tofu into ¾-inch cubes. Lay the cubes on a large plate, and set them aside while you prepare the other ingredients.

4) Combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water, and set aside. Create the sauce mixture by combining the chicken stock, sugar, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well and set aside.

5) Heat your wok over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and then the chicken. Stir-fry the chicken just until it turns opaque, about 1 minute. Remove from the wok to a small bowl and set aside.

6) Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the wok over medium heat, along with the ginger and the white parts of the scallions. Cook for 30 seconds, and then add the garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds.

7) Increase the heat to high, and add the Shaoxing wine. Then add the mushrooms. Stir-fry for 1 minute.

8) Add the sauce mixture, and bring it to a simmer. Mix the cornstarch slurry you prepared earlier to make sure it's well combined. Stream it into the simmering sauce mixture, mixing until it's thick enough to coat a spoon. If it's too thick, add a splash of water or stock.

9) Carefully pour off any liquid that has collected at the bottom of the plate of tofu, and add it in, folding it into the sauce with just a few turns of your wok spatula. Then add the chicken and fold it into the mixture.

10) Transfer the tofu and chicken mixture to a clay pot or small 2-qt. Dutch oven, and gradually bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Top with the green parts of the scallions, cover, and simmer over medium heat for 8 minutes. (Alternatively, keep the tofu in the wok. Lower the heat to medium-low, top with the scallions, cover, and simmer for 8 minutes in the wok.)

Time: 2 hours 20 minutes (2 hours prep + 20 mins. cook)

Serving(s): 4 servings