TwentyFive - Roxy

I bailed, like the chicken I was.

Seeing Darrin looking so handsome, dressed up in his tuxedo, had my legs turning to jelly. I confessed everything to Andie and Sophie as soon as they got a couple drinks into me the night before. They didn't act surprised at all, and, in fact, Andie had confessed a few things herself. They'd purposely booked a cabin with only three bedrooms, forcing Darrin and I to share. One of us could, in fact, have slept downstairs on the couch. They'd said we had to put out the downstairs fireplace at night, so the upstairs would work more efficiently. They'd flat out lied about that. All the paired off games had been a ploy to throw Darrin and I together as well.

When I'd asked why, Andie said that she was tired of watching two people who were perfect for each other waste any more time apart. Perfect my ass. We fought all the time. We rarely agreed on anything. The main reason we weren't perfect for each other, though, was because if we were we'd be together. Instead, I'd caught a flight as soon as I could politely get away from the reception and I was on my way home...alone.

Nobody knew I'd gone. I snuck out, quickly packed my things, and called a cab to the airport. I was still in my bridesmaid dress and a lot of people were looking at me funny. I didn't acknowledge any of them, though. I kept my head down and thought about how depressing my life would be going forward. Falling in love with Darrin Hatfield was the stupidest thing I'd ever done. Loving a man who was incapable of loving me back and whom I'd have to see from time to time was going to be brutal.

I closed my eyes during the flight, willing sleep to come. It didn't. I couldn't stop thinking about how it felt to be in Darrin's arms. His mouth on me was the best thing ever. The devil on my shoulder had me wondering what the woman would look like who finally knocked him on his ass someday. I knew it would happen, eventually. It happened to everyone at some point or to some degree. She'd have to be tough as nails to put up with him and the thought of that someone not being me was another cut to the heart.

When the plane touched down, I sluggishly moved through the airport, gathered my bags, and called another cab. During the drive to my house, I cried in the backseat of the cab. I'd somehow managed to hold the tears at bay during the flight, but now that I was getting close to my home, I was running on empty. I just wanted to crawl into my bed and stay there forever.

"Miss." The driver prompted and I looked up. We'd arrived at my apartment complex. I paid the guy, gathered my bags, and trudged inside. I dropped my bags, in complete shock, when I reached my hall and found Darrin sitting on the floor with his head in his hands, beside my apartment door.

More tears came and I demanded, "What are you doing here? How did you get here?"

Darrin stood and closed the distance between us, pulling me into his chest for the fiercest hug I'd ever received. He spoke into my neck, "I watched you leave the reception. I followed you but got waylaid by my grandmother. By the time I could get away, you'd just shut the door of the cab. I followed you to the airport and...I sat only a couple rows behind you on the plane."

I pushed at his chest, so he'd step back enough for me to see his face, "Are you serious? Why didn't you say anything to me either on the plane or at the airport?"

"You were running away from me. I didn't think approaching you in public was the way to go here. I caught my own cab and paid him double if he'd get me here fast, plus I didn't bring any luggage with me, so...I've only been here fifteen minutes."

"I don't understand. Why on earth did you follow me?"

He cupped my face and rested his forehead against mine, "I realized something last night after you took off with the girls."