[Act I] Chapter 1: A Night to Remember

It was early 1345. A ship had sailed and was on its way to Orien. On board was a well-built, charismatic, and good-looking man. He had been visiting his family in Isles of Merynn for what he called "personal matters". He seemed anxious to return home as soon as possible. 'Good sir, how long till we arrive there yet?' Asked the man. 

'I'm worried we might take one more day, clouds don't seem that friendly to us right now,' he paused, '...and I certainly do not want to ruin my old Bertha now, or end up at the bottom of the sea.' Answered the captain of the ship rudely

'So be it.' Replied the man. 

   The man went on back to his room, on his way there, a fellow sailor of the captain's men called for him. 'You there! Could I please have a moment with you?

'Sure.'

   'You, you look quite familiar... Tell me, sir, you serve in the army before?' Asked the sailor, being curious. 

   'Yeah I do, or at least used to. I'm retired. Why? Do I know you from somewhere?'

   'I'm not sure but I've had a pal named Eric, he had the same face as you. Your name's not Eric, is it?' 

   'It's not. My name is Cedric.' Answered Henry as he introduced himself to the sailor. 'You seem to have retired as well.'

  'Quite right. I'm Greg of Neij. It's good to have a fellow warrior on the same ship.' Cried Greg 'You know sir, I have a feeling we might be seeing each other soon. I just have a hunch. If you ever come across Els, ask for me.' 

   'Sure thing Greg. I'll remember that.'

   'It's settled then! I'm rather curious, Henry. Why the rush? Something awaits you in Orien?" asked Greg'From what I've heard from the captain, it seems like there's a storm due sooner than we think. I'd prepare for that at the utter least, don't want to lose your gear when we finally arrive.'

   It's just family, waiting for me. And I haven't seen them since a year.'

   'Ahhh I see...' Cried Greg 'your betrothed, am I right?

   'How do you know that? I thought you mistook me for someone else but it appears that you know me quite well.' 

   'As I said Henry, I have a hunch for such things.'

   Before the sailor could continue any further. The ship's bells rang as loud as a great whale's splash. The captain ordered everyone to enter their rooms and prepare for a heavy storm in a few hours. A couple of hourslater, a storm came through full of rapid rain, deadly waves, and freezing frost. Everyone had stayed inside their rooms as ordered, except for Greg and the other sailors, as well as the captain. The storm was becoming stronger every hour until it started to slightly damage the ship. It was shaking heavily. Every person on that ship felt like they were one second from crashing, the ship's hull damage was hazardous. 

With continuous shaking and endless high waves, Greg and two other sailors fell off the ship. The storm had eaten the young men, one other sailor almost fell off but managed to hold onto a wooden handle and survive. An hour later, the storm started to calm down until it nearly vanished. Henry got out of his room to check on what had happened. Upon hearing that Greg had fallen off the ship, he felt angry, paused for a minute, and went to confront the Captain with rage. 

   'Did you really have to take this bloody route?' Said Henry to the Captain angrily. 'Those people drowned,their blood is on your hands... you realize that right?

   'You do know that war's about to break out Mr. Cedric, do you not? If I were to dock in Drumenore, we'll allbe shot at with arrows before we can say oh shit!' Explained the Captain. 'I simply had no choice in the matter,I feel sorry for them, but there was nothing I could've done.' Said the Captain with no emotion whatsoever, he did not seem like anything had happened at all. Henry started getting furious until a nearby sailor that witnessed the conversation took him aside to calm him down.