Episode Two: Lockdown

A week has passed and neither of my parents have answered their phones. I began to pace. Me and James were out of the library and in our wing, back in the science room. 

"Nothing?" James asked, knowing why I've been pacing.

"Nope," my voice cracked. Earlier in the week, like two days ago, I got a voice mail from both of them. They were cut off during their speeches of how much they loved me. I still believed they were alive. That was my mistake for even thinking that.

"April...I'm so sorry," he replied. It was a hesitant reply. I get why though. 

"Staying in here isn't gonna help anything. We need food right? That means we need people to know how to use guns," I stated.

"The school system sucks, April. They won't teach us how to use weapons," he laid on one of the tables.

"We have to grow up quicker now, I play video games and have seen plenty of tv shows and movies to know what to do-"

"April, that's fiction. It's different in real life," James cut me off, "yes, the aspect of killing those things and growing up faster is what has to happen but it's different in shows and games."

"You don't think I know that? Trust me I do but I know the gist of it thanks to those shows and games."

James stayed silent and looked away. There's a different teacher in the science room now, for obvious reasons. We weren't allowed to leave the wing but we could go to our lockers with teacher permission. 

I hated being in lockdown. It was a waste of time and wasn't gonna protect us forever. Next thing I know is we die from starvation.

"I'm going to get my book," I told the teacher and didn't wait for a response. I walked out of the class and down the hall towards the end where you could exit from the side. 

I put in my combination on the lock and opened up the locker. My bag was red and black. The best combination of colors. I opened the big pocket that held my book, Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes, which was my favorite series of all time.

I pulled the zipper closed and nearly closed the locker before noticed the inside of the locker door. Olive and Genevieve. Olive is a year old while Genny is three. My little cousins who live in Massachusetts. 

Their parents are strong and all but if something happens to them, what will happen to those girls? They can't fend for themselves. Mass is an hour drive from here, hour and like, twenty minutes or something like that.

I can't stay here anymore. They need me, they just don't know it yet. That will also give me and Mittens an opportunity to meet up. We've been talking about it all week. Sad thing is that those dead heads got to her area. Her and her mom were ok. One of her brothers didn't make it but the other one is ok.

How to get out of here is the real question. I need three things: Keys to a car, a gun, and a sneaky way out. Operation get the hell out of here is a go. 

I walked in the class, leaving my book back in my bag which James noticed, "and where's the book?"

"I totally forgot, oh well," I laughed awkwardly, "Could I go to Mrs. Kelly's class?"

The teacher opened her mouth but didn't have the chance to speak. I was out of the class, going across the hall at the end of the hall, right next to an exit.

The class was full of kids. A group was doing a puzzle, others were reading or doing nothing. I looked at the clock to check the time. 4:42 PM. 

"April, nice to see you," Mrs. Kelly said to me, "staying the night here?"

I smiled a little and nodded, "yes, I am, if that's ok."

"Of course, we have puzzles or some board games," she smiled.

She was a happy teacher and nice. She also happens to be the only teacher with her car keys hanging up by her desk in view. Bingo.

I have no idea how to get a gun. Officer Jackson's body was moved to out back and I don't know what teachers have guns. All that's left to do now is wait until everyone is asleep. 

That was a long process. I did a puzzle by myself, went back to my locker to get my book and read for an hour. Then I listened to my playlist for two hours. It was now 8:03 PM. Everyone was asleep. I was shocked how quick everyone fell asleep, including the teacher.

I stepped over some kids very carefully. My jean jacket got stuck somehow on the corner of Mrs. Kelly's desk. I carefully slipped it off the corner and saw the teacher move. I stopped in my tracks. I was so close to the keys.

My leg lifted slowly to go over the teacher who was fast asleep. I reached for the keys. There was a star keychain attached to them. It was pretty. I took hold of the keys and wrapped my hand around them tightly so they didn't make any sound.

I snuck out, backwards mostly, until I could turn to face the door. I slowly opened it and got out, then slowly close it so it made no noise. I smiled, feeling proud of myself. The keys twirled around my fingers as I walked towards the side exit.

"April," a male voice stopped me in my tracks. I closed my eyes and sighed. I hoped he wouldn't see me. I slowly turned and held the keys tightly again.

"Hey, James," I sighed, "I know I know but I can't stay here."

"So you're leaving? Leaving me? Where are you even going?"

"Would you end up telling the teachers?" I lost my smile as I looked at him.

"If it meant bringing you back-"

"I have to see some people and protect them. I can't tell you where I'll be. No one says you can't come with," I stated.

"I can't. I won't make it long out there and neither will you."

"You have that much of low hope in me?" I sounded offended.

"We are just kids. We're thirteen."

"And we will die if we don't act fast," I headed towards the door.

"Within this week, the whole Wing has become family. How do you think they will act when they find out one of our own left us? How do you think they will treat you when you come back?"

I stopped in my tracks and looked down, "and who said I was gonna come back?"

He said nothing and just walked off from what I heard. I ran out of the door and to the back of the school. I noticed dead bodies there and gagged out of reflex. I then saw Officer Jackson's body.

I ran to his body and saw his gun was gone. I was so dumb I didn't think that a teacher would take it for themselves. I heard the door slam open from the back. Mrs. Kelly with the rest of the teachers. Shit.

I bolted back around the school as fast as I could. My hair blew around as I ran and got all messy. My hands fumbled with the keys as I hit the unlock button to see what car it was. I darted toward the gray one in the parking lot.

I struggled again to open the door in a hurry. I got in and started the car, and my hands squeezed the steering wheel. I didn't realize that I had been teared up since the conversation with James. My eyes felt dry.

I shook my head and backed out of the spot fast, almost hitting one of the teachers. I then took off fast and made a sharp turn. I was so close to the main road. That's when I took another sharp turn onto the main road and just drove.

I put on google maps to know how to get there. My headphones laid next to me in the passenger seat. I carefully put them on with one hand and grabbed my phone and first, called Mittens before putting my music on. She didn't answer but I left a message.

"Mittens, I'm on my way to Mass. I need you to come this way. I know that isn't fair. You live across the world and all but I can't leave Olive and Genny, call me back when you can."