002

CHAPTER TWO
Asylum

________________________________________________________________________________

-Avery-

Avery knew that besides the clairvoyant, some of the other Cullens had gifts as well, so the fact that they knew she wasn't coming wasn't a shock to her. She could sense other vampires as she entered the woods and decided to walk it at a speed slightly above human so they didn't have any more of a reason to think that she was there to attack them. She was sure the clairvoyant saw her coming, but that didn't mean she would be welcomed. In fact, she was sure they would try and send her away as soon as they saw her, but she wanted to plead her case.

They were waiting for her not too far into the canopy of trees. Part of her wanted to just give up and leave before she even tried, but she had come so far and risked so much. And Avery was never one to just give up. She wasn't sure if the Volturi would know yet that she was gone, but they would soon enough. They used her for a lot of their trials. The Cullens hadn't been one of them, probably because the clairvoyant had been there and combined with Aro's gift, there was no way they could deceive the Volturi. Avery hadn't detected any while they were there, and it was one of the reasons why she chose to follow them.

"You need to leave."

The clipped, harsh words drew her up short and her crimson eyes flickered around until the small group came to a stop in front of her. The one that spoke was the scowling Cullen, the one that had been in Volterra with the human.

"Edward," said the blonde male, his voice a carefully soft warning.

"She's one of them, Carlisle. She can't be trusted."

She recognized the name Edward from when they were in Volterra, but hadn't associated it with him until just then. She had heard the name Carlisle before, too, as someone who had once lived with the Volturi, but had never met him and wondered if he was one in the same. But she didn't ask, she simply let her eyes flicker between the two men.

"Yes she can," said a third voice and the pixie clairvoyant appeared. Edward's scowl turned to her, but the girl just gazed at Avery with an easy, happy smile. It was the same smile she gave to Avery in the castle entryway, and Avery found herself unable to help the smile from climbing across her features again. 

"I can," she confirmed. Part of her found it amusing that she was the one that couldn't be trusted considering her gift, but she didn't say so. However, when the thought filtered through her mind, Edward's eyes flickered to hers, narrowing slightly. It was then she remembered the reason Aro had wanted him: he's a telepath. 

So you should be able to see that I have no ill intent towards you or your family, she thought. She paused. Or your human.

Edward's scowl deepened and Avery looked back to the other two members, slowly holding up her hands in the international sign for surrender. "I have no ill intent towards your family," she repeated out loud for their benefit. Her voice was soft as she tried to be as nonthreatening as possible. 

She was sure her crimson eyes didn't help her case either, but she hadn't been aware of another way until the Cullens showed up at the castle. Avery had seen the golden eyes of Edward and the girl, and had quietly asked one of the other members of the guard. He had told her -- with quite the sneer on his face -- that they lived off of animal blood. The idea filled her with wonder and she was ashamed of the man she drank from in New York City; she had just been so hungry. 

"Why are you here?" Carlisle asked, but his question wasn't accusatory like Edward's would've been, but was simply curious. 

Avery tilted her head lightly. "You were once with the Volturi, yes?" Carlisle raised an eyebrow, but nodded once wordlessly. "Then you understand their methods. I do not agree with them." She paused when she heard Edward scoff. "I didn't come here to disrupt your life. If you want me to leave I will, but I came for asylum." She paused. "I will tell you anything you want to know."