1

April 3, 2019

Messages between Scarlett and Jeremy

Scarjo:
Renner
Question

Jerbear:
What's up?

Scarjo:
I'm not trying to sound like some jealous girlfriend or anything

Jerbear:
But?

Scarjo:
Why does she see Jack every year? They broke up three years ago. I'm not trying to sound jealous, but I don't get it.

Jerbear:
You remember that car accident she was in three years ago?

Scarjo:
Yeah

Jerbear:
Well, there's more to it than what we told people, but you're gonna have to ask her. I figured she would've told you by now, but it's none of my business.

Scarjo:
Something happened that none of us knew?

Jerbear:
Literally only three people know and that's me, Sydney and Jack. But just ask her and try to be nice about it.

Scarjo:
Okay first of all, I am always nice. But I will make sure I'm nice about it.

It was getting late by the time Rylee got home. She'd been with Jack for most of the day and some people thought it was weird that she saw her ex-boyfriend every year, especially now that she had a girlfriend.

But Rylee didn't care what people thought, because none of them knew why they still saw each other. It had been their secret this whole time.

Rylee thought she was done crying for the day, but her eyes landed on one of Rose's stuffed animals on the coffee table.

Her daughter would've been three today and the stuffed animal reminded her, that she wasn't here. She'd never play with stuffed animals, she'd never do anything other kids did. She'd never get to play with Rose.

"Hey, Ry." Scarlett had come into the kitchen, but her smile dropped when she noticed the tears in Rylee's eyes, "Honey, come here."

Scarlett didn't know why Rylee was crying and had never seen her cry like this in the eight years she'd known her. But watching her cry like this and her body tremble in Scarlett's arms, was something she wished was happening.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Scarlett asked a few minutes later when Rylee was calming down, only a few tears left, "Your dad wouldn't tell me anything, but he said there was more to the car accident. And you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but you can talk to me, okay?"

"I was pregnant."

"Rylee, I had no idea."

"I know. We didn't tell anyone because we thought it would be funny to tell everyone after she was born."

Scarlett smiled, "That sounds like something you would do."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"Hey, don't. I get it, okay?" Scarlett held onto her hand, squeezing it gently, "I can't imagine what it's like to lose your baby, but I'm here and you can talk to me. Or just cry. Whatever you need, love."

Rylee sniffled, "I love you."

"I love you, too. Come here." Scarlett held her arms out, tightly embracing her girlfriend.