Calm Before The Storm

I'd been standing in front of a shop window lost in my thoughts. Seeing C in all his soon-to-be splendor brought it all back. I released a slow deep breath. Mother had been right, it was a blessing for them, but their joy left me behind. The shop door opened.

"Erran? Did you need something?" It was Sa Jerret. "You've been standing there looking in for a while now."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I was just thinking about, well..."

"I saw you talking to Cyr. Big day for him. Raising Ceremony is tomorrow."

"Yes, tomorrow night. I was just on my way home."

"Did you just get back?" Sa Jerret asked. "I thought I saw you leaving town two days ago."

"Two days ago, yes."

"Wow, you must have been on the trail of something big. Did it take you that long to drag it back to town? Although... you must have had an easy time of it, actually, your clothes look almost perfectly clean."

I sighed; here we go. "No, I didn't have any luck actually. I wasn't able to bring anything back with me."

"After two days?" He grimaced. "How'd that go over?"

"I haven't run into any of the elders yet, so right now, you're the only one who knows. C was so absorbed in the Raising Ceremony and his jacket fitting that he didn't notice or ask any questions."

"Right," Sa Jerret smiled. "That boy only has words for himself lately. Well, if you're trying to get home before anyone else starts asking questions, you should stop thinking in front of my shop and get there as soon as you can. They were depending on you bringing something back to add to the Raising Ceremony meals. That's really strange you didn't have any luck over two days."

"I know. I know. I'm sure I'll have to explain myself today, tomorrow, and after the Raising Ceremony."

I looked down the street to see if anyone else was coming in my direction. There were a few people milling around, but no one was paying us any attention.

"Well, sorry for lingering too long, Sa Jerret. I'm sure you're busy."

"Not really," he said. "But you caught my attention when I came out of the back. I tried waving you inside but you just kept staring in."

"Sorry. Yes. Sorry again. I was just, I don't know. Just thinking about things."

"Well, I hope you were thinking up a good story to tell the elders. I don't want to see you expelled."

"I don't want that either," I said looking down at my boots. "I'll get headed home. Thanks. I'll see you at the ceremony tomorrow?"

"You will indeed. My best to your Mother and Father."

"I'll tell them. Thanks again."

I turned away and headed back down the street toward home.