The Seawitch's Mermaid

"Once in a place not so far away, there was a beautiful mermaid princess who went by the name Levias.  From her head, her long dashing silver hair shined magnificently. She even had a warm smile and eyes that glowed like gems.

    She was so kind, in fact, that she was the only mermaid that welcomed and befriended the deep sea clan.  Most of them were feared and were often called daemons and witches.  Of them all she befriended a non-binary named Alehkzir who cared for her deeply.

    Alehkzir was a similar age to her and enjoyed her company.  They both had many fun adventures together.  All of the other mermaids thought Levi, as everyone called her, was crazy.  How could she spend her time with a demon from the deepest caves?

     Regardless, she still spent time with them.  At one point, she invited Alehkzir as a guest to one of her father's parties, she was so excited that she dressed them in a perfect cross of a tuxedo and skirt.  But everyone shunned Alehkzir and gave them dirty looks.

     She brought them away and whispered, "Their words don't matter because they do not know you like I do,"  This comforted them and they enjoyed the rest of the party together.  Her family were the only ones that respected Alehkzir and that made her happy.

     As time went forward, though, they grew up.  She couldn't go on adventures every day anymore and was learning tedious lessons instead.  Still, she missed them and would rather go on adventures.

    It had been months since Alehkzir had seen the princess, so one day they snuck in the palace without anyone realizing.  They stayed in her room all day waiting, until she finally retreated to her courters at night.

     When she saw them, she gasped in surprise and they hugged each other at once.  They messed around a little before they realized how long it has been since they last saw each other.

     Alehkzir stared at her and realized how beautiful and more elegant she'd gotten.  They couldn't take their eyes off her.  Alehkzir, too grew up, looking more like a fearsome monster, but Levi wasn't bothered.  Alehkzir could never understand why she continued to be friends with the monster.

     From that day on, Alehkzir continued to sneak inside and visit her.  One day Alehkzir brought a spell book from the clan's caves.  She watched as her friend showed her simple spells.  They had so much fun playing pranks on the servants.

     Her father had grounded her for a week from the chaos they caused.  They hadn't had that amount of fun in weeks.  Alehkzir still visited her while she was grounded, her father never found out.

    Levias' eldest sister was getting married and she began getting sad.  Her sister had found a lovely mermate and she still had not seen a single one she wished to wed.  She lamented to Alehkzir who, however, did not know what to tell the princess.  Over the past years, they've began seeing Levi differently and fallen in love with her.  Alehkzir knew that this love could not be acted upon, not only would they get rejected but it would never be allowed.

    As the days grew closer to her sister's wedding, she became much sadder.  Alehkzir did not know how to make her feel better.

     Then one day when Alehkzir was waiting for her lessons to finish, mermaids passed by making snide remarks.

     "Hey seawitch, you realize that you never will become one of us right?  She just pities you and that's why she hasn't left you."

     "Yeah," another pips it, "Besides you act nothing like a mermaid and no one here even has your respect especially not having a gender."

     "Don't feel bad," The first mermaid told the demon when Alehkzir stared lowering their head, "Demons and mermaids aren't suppose to be friends, let alone love the other."