28.

"what do we need to do today, mama?" ilana asked as yvonne finished up her waffles from the diner.

el pulled out a list. 'we need to get some groceries and a new curtain for von since she teared it off by accident. you need some new colouring pencil and shoes. am i missing anything?'

she shook her head. "it's sunday, mama. you don't need to go to the doctor?"

'no, i went the other day when you were at school. mommy said another word! it wasn't a good pronunciation but i said it. guess the word,'

ilana giggled. "lamb?"

'close, i'll try that next time. i said rain. i whispered it but i still think i did well,' el smiled dreamingly as ilana smiled. "i'm happy for you, mama—"

"all done! i'm all done!" yvonne bursted out and breathed heavily as she drank her ice water. "all done!"

'can you stroke your sister for me? i think she's hyperventilating,' el said as ilana stroked yvonne's back. "slow down, von von."

yvonne giggled and burped. "tastes so good."

ilana hugged her tightly. "i love you so much, von von. let's go shopping now."

"shopping?" yvonne gasped as el nodded. 'yes, shopping. do you want some more water?'

yvonne shook her head.

'need the bathroom, any of you?' el asked as they both shook their heads.

el gave a look. 'yvonne..'

"okay! yes! i need to go wee!" yvonne bursted out as el grinned.

ilana chuckled and wiped her sisters mouth. "there we go," she whispered as yvonne huffed.

"smile for me, von?" ilana pouted as yvonne turned before grinning widely. "i love you, lana. thank you,"

ilana pulled her up as she stood up. "mommy, i can take von to the bathroom,"

el shook her head. 'no, it's okay. i'll go with you guys.' she kissed ilana's hair then took them to the bathroom.

"mommy, i help von so you can go. i don't need to go," ilana suggested as el smiled. 'go, i love you, thank you for helping me,' el kissed her forehead and allowed the kiss to linger for a few long seconds.

"i love you too,"

•••

"and then after we can go park!" yvonne rambled on as el led them to the next store.

el nodded. 'of course,' she signed as she held onto hers and yvonne's hand.

ilana chuckled. "von von, we need to buy lots of stuff."

"so!?"

el shook her head and kissed ilana's hair. 'it's okay, we can go.' she told her as they continued down the street.

she held their hands tightly, making sure they were safe with her till she noticed the same white van.

her eyes scanned her surroundings. why was the street suddenly so quiet? why was only the van here?

her questions were answered when she heard someone speak up.

"eleanor."

el stilled as ilana turned.

el let go of their hands. 'run.'

ilana eyes widened as she grabbed yvonne's hand, knowing what was happening because this was bound to happen.