Chapter 1

Zayn's POV

I heard the car door open. I didn't move from where I lay curled in the backseat, my head resting on my bent arm. Despite the blanket that was covering me, I was shivering.

I had begged my aunt to leave the keys in the car so I could turn on the heat if I got cold. After some back-and-forthing, Madeline had agreed. That had only been five minutes ago, and here she was, already back. Maybe the doctor had phoned in the prescription and Madeline hadn't had to wait for it to be filled.

Now the door slammed closed, the SUV rocking a little as weight settled into the driver's seat. The engine started and the car jerked in reverse.

It was a thousand little things that told me something was wrong. Even the way the door closed didn't sound right. Too fast and too hard for Madeline. The breathing was all wrong too, speeded up and harsh. The smell of cigarettes filled my nose. But Madeline didn't smoke and couldn't stand anyone who did.

There was no way the person driving the car was my aunt.

But why would someone else have gotten in the car? It was a pretty old, so it wasn't likely someone had just gotten confused and thought it was their car.

Then I remembered the keys. Somebody was stealing the car!

And I was pretty sure they didn't know I was in it.

I froze, wondering how much the blanket covered me. I couldn't feel any part of me that was showing.

I must have made a small sound. Or maybe the thief had looked to see if someone was following and then realized what the shape was underneath the blanket.

A swear word. A guy's voice. I was already pretty sure it was a guy.

"Who the hell are you?" His voice broke in surprise.

"What are you doing in Madeline's car?"

Our words collided and we were almost yelling.

Sitting up, I scrambled back against the door, the one farthest from the guy. "Stop the car and get out!"

"No!" He shouted back. The engine surged as he drove faster.

I realized I was being kidnapped.

But I couldn't see the guy who was kidnapping me or where they were going.

Because for the last three years, I had been blind.