chapter two

24 hours had passed. Ash was going insane. He knew damn well he had to walk her home. He knew damn well he had to be there. It felt like everything was his fault.

Jolene was like everything he had. They had been friends since forever. She was there when his parents weren't. She was there when not even Ash himself was. He promised he would be there too.

Bullshit.

God knows where she could be.

He had to do something and he had to do it now. The wisest choice was to contact someone, but who the hell would be stupid enough to join him?

He sat down with his back to the wall, trying to come up with something. Minutes were turning into hours, until...

Iris! How didn't he think of that earlier. Jolene always used to talk about how Iris is always up for adventures and taking risks.

The exact same afternoon, he rushed to the café she works at, ordered plain black coffee and sat down on a table. He started observing Iris, watching every movement of hers, trying to find the courage to ask for help.

Safe to say he didn't. But how could he? She looked so miserable. So he went there the next day and the day after that, until she walked up to him.

"I'll try to be as nice as possible, but why the hell do you keep staring at me? " she asked, completely freaking out over what she thought was a stalker.

"Look I- I've been trying to find the courage to ask you-" before he could even finish one sentence, she interrupted.

"No I'm not gonna date you. " she quickly cut him.

"Alright not everything revolves around you. " he stated, earning a death glare from her. "I know you're friends with Jolene. She's all I have and I- I know police won't do shit. I was wondering whether you're up to look for her. With me. "

"Remove the last sentence and I'm in. " she said with a sigh.

"Oh fuck off. You know we can't do this alone. Let's do it for her. Then feel free to forget about me. " Ash replied, desperation filling his eyes.

"Fine. Just for Jolene. " she finally agreed.

"How about meeting again tomorrow? " she asked, completely done with the whole situation.

The surprise in his eyes was clear. "Y-yeah. 5pm here? "

She nodded and went back to her shift, earning an unsatisfied look from her coworkers.

Meanwhile Ash took his way back home, glad he could finally start searching for his friend, though he believed Iris was such a pain in the ass.

She most likely thought the same.