Water It Down

Jonathan drove until it was too dark to see the road and he was too tired to keep his eyes open

Jonathan drove until it was too dark to see the road and he was too tired to keep his eyes open. Kendall offered to switch spots with him so she'd drive and he could get some sleep but when they passed a small hotel, Jonathan pulled into the parking lot, ignoring Kendall's suggestion.

The two teens slowly walked into the empty lobby. Kendall scanned the room for anything that would make her want to leave; roaches, a stench... blood stains.

Luckily, Kendall didn't see anything out of the ordinary as she and Jonathan got the the front desk where a woman sat, reading a magazine as she obnoxiously chewed on her gum.

Jonathan cleared his throat, but the woman didn't even budge. He turned to Kendall and gave her a side eye, silently asking her what to do. Kendall rolled her eyes, leaning against the counter,  "We'd like a room."

"We got those." The woman said, flipping a page. She blew a bubble before looking up at Jonathan and Kendall, eyeing the two with a smirk. "You want a single or a double?"

"Double."

Kendall anxiously tapped the counter, not making any eye contact with Jonathan. The lady behind the desk slurped her ICEE, eyeing the two back and forth at how quick both of them responded.

She looked at her computer and huffed out a laugh. She turned to the two with an amused look. "It's a shame all we have left is a single. You two still want it?" 

"Yep." Kendall said, knowing there was no where left for them go. She could feel Jonathan look at her, but she kept her eyes on the woman on the other side of the desk. The woman raised her brows in amusement, taking another big slurp of her ICEE as she handed Kendall the two keys to the hotel room.

...

Kendall laid on the right side of the bed while Jonathan laid on the left side, the bright lamp on his side resting on a nightstand. Jonathan sighed from how tired he was. He shifted to get more comfortable as he craned his head towards the bright light beside.

"Kenny? Do you want the lights on or off?"

Jonathan's voice was pretty quiet. When Kendall didn't answer, he turned to her and noticed the nervous look on her face. As if she were stuck in a nightmare.

Jonathan scooted closer to Kendall, his brows creasing at her. "What's wrong?"

Kendall gulped, shaking her head to get out of her own head. She turned to the boy  and gave him a tight lipped smile. "Nothing. Just... I think seeing where the demogorgon came from... I guess it just brought back a lot."

Jonathan frowned at Kendall's words. He knew how she felt, seeing where it all started. He rose his hand and combed a fallen piece of her hair behind her ear, his eyes landing on the scar on his palm from the year prior in the process.

A small smile etched its way onto the Byers boys face as he scooted closer to Kendall, their shoulders and thighs touching as he stuck his hand up in the air above them so she could see it.