Summer Love (Not Quite/Always Mine) - Rini One Shot

(like the others- this isn't the one shot. that'll be a lot longer. this concept was inspired by my conversation with a friend on twitter... basically an au of season 3. let me know if y'all are interested!)

this summer they were friends- back to being best friends, like they'd been since they were kids.

nevermind the fact that when they started dating the first time it was right at the end of freshman year, right at the start of their sophomore summer.

they'd spent that summer together- falling harder and harder. so yeah- there were some pretty significant memories attached to spending the summer together for ricky and nini.

the nostalgia was definitely going to take them for a ride and they know it.

after breaking up, they both were very aware it wasn't a lack of love, but for the journey she had to take. and ricky... he was finding himself starting to go on one of his own. he needed to find himself too. like she had.

she leaves for los angeles at the end of summer, when he goes back to salt lake city, they'll say goodbye.

maybe if they accept they're going to let go for good when summer ends, they can just enjoy the time they have now.

just keep things quiet, remind everyone you're best friends, were best friends long before you dated, and stick to the background for these next few weeks.

it shouldn't be that hard.

they're not pretending summer won't end. they know it will. they know they're saying goodbye when summer's done.

but that's why they're letting their hearts lead for a while. to have one last summer together that they can hold onto when the leaves start to change and they put both physical and emotional distance between them.

they're not back together, but they're definitely not telling the whole truth when they tell everyone they're just really close friends like they always were before things turned romantic between them.

best friends aren't late to move set pieces during rehearsal because they're making out in the wings.

but then it's hard to say when they fell for each other in the first place, so maybe that line is harder to draw than one might try to say it is anyway.

situationships can be fun sometimes, and as he kisses her and laughs about being such good friends, nini knows she's having the best last summer she could've dreamed of.

even if they're doing a terrible job hiding it according to kourtney when she confronts them.

at least she agrees to keep their little secret safe.