2

Mavericks pov
Man jackal is pretty. Her and goose do but don't look alike, If that makes any sense.

We get an instructor and her goose and I sit beside one another

We get an instructor and her goose and I sit beside one another. She says she can outrun MiGs. So can I. Her reputation is insane for someone her age. It must piss people off she's a woman. After class is done we have to play tag. I give her a boost into her plane and she chuckles "thanks" giving me a show stopping smile. I nod "see you out there Jack"

she chuckles "if you're lucky Mav" goose looks between us and says "take it easy on us Cass" "not a chance in hell" she chuckles and with that we head to our plane and he says "you got the hots for my sister mav" what? I shake my head "what? No" he chuckles "yes you do. I can tell. And despite-" we're cut off by her sounding angry. "I don't need a partner and I never have! I fly solo" she snaps at viper. He says "you cannot fly this alone. Here's your wingman" stalking off. Uh oh.

"Shit" goose huffs. I wonder why she's like this. We fly up and I hear her wingman Decker tell her about Ice who tries to get her and she huffs "I know. No need to talk" spiraling the plane. Soon she's the only one to not be caught. I go after her and she makes me brake hard when she turns the planes sideways and she disappears before reappearing "gotcha" holy shit.

We're told to land and we do. Her annoyed ignoring Decker. He stops her "talk to me Cass" they know one another. She glares "no" walking off. Goose says "that's not good" we're sent to the office and we're threatened with expulsion. Goose isn't happy but we find her with decker.

Cassies pov
"What are you doing here deck?" I ask him annoyed. He says "phantom wasn't your fault" I huff "that doesn't answer my question as to why you're here" "I'm here because just like him I'm a pilot. And who else can teach me more about the sky and planes and being a RIO, than with the best of the best?" He replies.

I shake my head "I will not cause your death too Deck. I fly solo because I only have me to have to care for besides my wingmen" "phantom wasn't your fault" he tells me gently. I huff "you say that like it's true. My recklessness killed him. The way I fly got him killed. The only reason I'm still a pilot is because of my skill. Tell viper to get you someone else." "There is no one else just you. When they asked me to join I told them I'd only fly with you" he tells me.

I huff "tell them you changed your mind because it's not happening" walking off. I find peace alone and maverick sits beside me "so you and the new guy?" I huff out a chuckle "not at all" maverick is hot. And he knows it. And he's also a close friend of my brothers, not that goose would care though. "You okay?" He asks. I don't know what I'd do if I lose goose. I tell him "promise me you'll look after yourself and goose out there Mav" "you don't have anything to worry about...we're gonna be okay, what's this about?" He replies. I used to think the same way about phantom and I. We were untouchable.

Until we weren't. We got chased and I made the wrong call and we crashed. He died on impact and I was taken as a POW. For six months. I got an award and apologies. "I used to think I was untouchable as well Mav. But you're not. So just promise me you'll be safe." He nods "promise. You know...I'm a good listener" I chuckle "I'm fine" he shakes his head "whatever it is...it's eating at you. You can't let it do so forever"

I shake my head and he asks "why don't you like Decker? Seems like a decent guy?" I laugh "are you trying to wingman me?" He shrugs "what? He seemed interested" I chuckle "no. He's not" he asks "how would you know if you don't try?" "His older brother was my RIO. Phantom...or James if you were close enough to him" I explain. I can see it clicks for him "I....I'm sorry...I couldn't imagine losing goose like that" neither can I. He asks "that why you don't want decker?" "I won't let my dumb split decisions get anyone else killed" i reply standing.

He follows suit "what happened isn't your fault" "that's what they all say. But it was" I mutter. He grabs my hand "come out with me" I raise an eyebrow "cmon. You're gooses sister, gorgeous as all hell, looking at him it's shocking. But we're alike in so many ways. Cmon. Get your mind off of shit" I nod "okay"