Chapter 1 of 2

I tore off the surgical gown and tossed it in the bio-hazard bin with exhaustion from the last six hours in surgery. As I stepped out of the Operating Room, I looked over at Brendan and he smiled, "so I have a new one coming this weekend, I'll be at the house. So you won't need to go check on it for me."

I nod and tug the cap off my head, "okay, so let me guess. Go check on Ann and her kids?"

He nods and smiles, "Correct, I'll be home probably Sunday to check on her myself. You know how she gets when I'm away."

I roll my eyes. It wasn't that I disliked his fake wife and fake children. It was just exhausting being around her. She was once one of Steve's victims. He took her leg and when she woke during the procedure, she told him she was pregnant. He was completely freaked out. Since then he's been a lot more tedious in picking his victims. I look at him sighing, "I really don't see why you still stick with her like you do. She's replaceable..."

"Yeah, but there's kids involved," he says as we walk towards the doctor lounge. "I don't want to make things bad for them."

I lean against the closed door as he walks over to his bag and starts pulling out a change of clothes. I sigh, "so no us weekend, again?"

"Sorry," he says and leans over to lay a kiss on my lips. "I'll make it up to you again on Monday, you come over and we'll do whatever you want."

"Chop a few pieces off someone?" I say with my eyebrows a wiggling. He always found a way to cheer me up and make up for a horrible boyfriend at times. He chuckles, "yeah, she'll be ready by then, I'm sure."

I sigh and pout, "I'll miss you."

He smiles, "and I'll miss you, baby. Now, go check on Mrs. Reed and I'll see you in a couple days."

"Okay," I say and sigh. He captures my lips once more and then lets me leave.

It wasn't that I didn't like doing what he wanted, but there were somethings I really disliked. Like going to see his fake wife, Ann. She was once a victim of his lifestyle, but she told him she was pregnant and he instantly couldn't fulfill the kill with her. She was crazy to say the least, roping him into raising her kids with her. They weren't even his. He gave her everything she wanted, all while I sat idle watching it happen. I was just a lousy nurse to him. Nothing more, but little did I know that he had developed feelings much like I had. I at first didn't know about his lifestyle choices until I caught him zoning out in the OR one too many times. He quickly told me everything as long as I promised not to turn him in. I did and he began to treat me like gold behind closed doors. He only scrubbed in at the hospital if I was there. We became quite the duo.