Chapter 1

Nates POV
——————
It is finally the end of the week! It's summer here in Nottera, so that means a lot of us homeless people are looking for water and food. I should introduce myself, hi I'm Nathan Smith, most people call me Nate. I'm 17 and run a seasonal fruit stand during the summer breaks. I live with my parents who don't get out much because of how often we get sick. But we have a good life for how we are living. But to be honest...my stand isn't very good. I mean yeah, I get my good days and my bad days. This week, it hasn't been good.

"Closing up!" I shout to the people who were at the nearing stands. I put the tarp up and collected my jar with the money that is inside.

"How much did you make this week Nathan?" I turn over to my right to see my friend Brett standing there. Me and Brett have been best friends for years. He has seen the lowest of lows, the days I'm like very happy, and the days where he has to come to my cottage to get me out of bed. He's there for me.

"Not that much. It's only going to last my parents a few days. It seems like I'm going hungry a little more." I told him with a sigh in my voice. I didn't have that much in there. A few dollars and a few quarters, that's it. "I have to get to my family. When are you closing up?" I ask him, putting the jar in my satchel.

"I'm about to close, maybe 15-20 minutes. Why? What's up?" He asked me, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Can you come over, and sneak me in some fruit from your stand? I'm starving Brett! I haven't eaten anything in a week!" I told/asked him. And it's true, all the money, well not all the money, I make sure it goes to my parents. And I only really do that when I have a bad week.

"Nathan...you know I would. But if the royal guards catch me, I'm toast!" The royal guards come here to protect us from harm. But we can't steal from our stand or others, it's against the rules here. Stupid guards. "But I can try okay? I'll come to your cottage after I close my shop and change. And I'll bring food from home, does that sound okay?" I nodded and he smiled a bright smile. "I'm trying here to Nathan. But somethings, I can't do. But I have to get to my stand, I'll be there soon." He hugged me tight and when we broke the hug I was off to my cottage.

When I arrived, my parents were sitting on the "couch," not that we can call it that. It's a woven piece of furniture with a mattress on it. That's it. My parents turned around and stood up.

"So...?" My dad asked. I shook my head knowing what he meant. "Oh Nate, that's okay. Your trying your best, that's all that counts." I pulled the jar out of my satchel and showed them.

"It seems like I'm going hungry a little bit more." I whispered to them. My mom came up to me and hugged me tightly. "I'm sorry mom, you guys need food. I will go a little bit longer, that's all." I told her as I felt my shoulder starting to get wet. "Don't cry mom please!" She broke the hug and I wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"I'm sorry dear, you need to eat my sweet boy. You're all skin and bones. You're not going to make it much longer." My father pulled her into his arms. I put my head down and decided to let the threatening tears fall. "Don't cry my baby boy. You are doing the best you can! And I'm so so proud of you." I smiled and laughed through my tears. My father pulled me into the hug and I wept. It will just be a little longer, my family needs it more then me currently.

Night fell over Nottera, Brett has yet to show up. My stomach growls from being so hungry. My mother turns her head and gives me a small sad look. "Nate, please, eat something. You're hungry." She told me. Currently my father and mother are eating some soup and bread that we had left over. And I wanted them to eat it because they will be hungry for a while, especially after the money is spent. "Please love?" I sighed and nodded. She smiled and pored some of her soup into a bowl and handed it to me.