Chapter 7

The King household, Hardwicke

September 2nd, 2015

7 P.M

So waking at six in the evening with a slight hangover wasn't the best feeling in the world, I don't know why I had picked up that bottle of vodka when my brain knew that white wine was often my liquid of choice. Lucky for Tee and I though it was an ailment that a few aspirin and a glass of water could fix before we began our typical routine that we usually went through when preparing for dinner in our respective home cities.

"Rose! I don't know what to wear, blue or red?" Teegan complained as she walked into my room in nothing but her under things holding a red and blue dress. I tried to keep myself from cringing at Teegan's options,  one dress looked like a twelve year old would wear it and the other looked as if it belonged to Tee's mom.

"They're both hideous, aren't they? You know me Rose, I grew up with brothers and my sense of fashion isn't exactly feminine." I knew exactly what Tee was talking about, all through high school she had worn baggy clothes, her hair was almost always a knotted mess but she was always happiest wearing what she was comfortable in so I was going to offer her some help this time around.

"Tee, I've got your back. Go put those away, I have an outfit for you." Tee eyed me warily but did as I told her, she was probably remembering that time I tried to dress her in high school and it all went downhill as soon as she stepped out the front door.

When Tee came back into my room I was holding out a cute black dress for her to try on, again she eyed me warily but took it and went into the bathroom muttering something about it being too small. I realized a long time ago that Tee and I were the same body shape and size but she had a different image stuck in her mind and always assumed she couldn't fit into my clothing.

"It fits!" I heard Teegan yell in surprise from the bathroom. I laughed a little, it was obvious from her exclamation that she was surprised. The look of wonder on her face when she came back into the room was reward enough for making a friend realize she wasn't what her mind thought she was.

"How many times have I been telling you that we're the same size? It looks great, did you bring shoes with you? I was going to offer you heels but you're already tall so I'd suggest ballet flats or something. Now sit down so I can do your hair." I could see Tee hesitate for a moment, the hairstyle that I had in mind was easy, simple to look at and hopefully would be comfortable for Tee to wear.

After a few minutes and a little bit of squirming from Tee I finished the Gibson tuck and stepped away from Tee, I had planned on leaving my hair out but ended up putting it up into something messy looking.

"Seriously, you've made it look so effortless to look pretty. What's your secret?" Rolling my eyes at Tee I went and grabbed a pair of heels that would suit the white blouse and blue skirt that I was going to wear. My look was completed by a skinny black belt around my waist.

"You get used to it in LA, ya know? Come on or we'll be late. Besides, I didn't want you to chicken out on this dinner so I planned you an outfit in advanced." That was a lie, it was just lucky that my first choice of outfit had turned out well. The black dress that Tee currently wore was a backup, you could never go wrong with a black dress.

When we both arrived at the venue I groaned, another place for bad memories to resurface after being buried for so long. 

"Lets get this over and done with Tee," I grabbed Teegan's arm and held on to it for dear life as we walked through the front door of the restaurant, the itinerary had stated that the dress code was casual and yet there were a few women there dressed far too fancily for this to be a casual dinner. Not surprisingly one of the women dressed in her finest was Beth, though she and her small group of friends stuck out like sore thumbs so they were easy to identify and avoid.