literature essay

Q: To what extent are main characters successful? Refer to at least 2 of the set texts. (I chose film and short stories - exam question

A minor extent. Stevens from 'The Remains of the Day' and Jimmy Cross from 'The Things They Carried' are successful in the things they take pride in and the things they find important. But both realise they aren't actually successful in life and resolves to change. 

Stevens is the epitome of a perfect butler. He looks up to his father and aims to be the best butler he can be by speaking formally and being professional at all times in serving Lord Darlington. He's successful in that aspect to the point of having a stiff upper lip and doing his duties while he's aware that his father is dying. Jimmy Cross is the lieutenant of a platoon in the war, leading his men to destroy villages and marching 'for the sake of the march'. Jimmy's greatest fear is showing that he's afraid of death, so he hides it and successfully avoids the 'blush of dishonour'. Aside from not showing fear, Jimmy also carries Purple Hearts and Bronze Star medals and badges for the glory of going to war. Both males perform well in their duties of what they prioritize, however they aren't successful in other areas in life. 

The two main characters follow orders from their authorities so much that they don't question orders or act on their own values. Stevens fires two Jewish maids because Lord Darlington says so. The butler knows religion discrimination is wrong, yet he neither questions nor firmly objects to his employer. He acts on lord Darlington's values to maintain his image of being an excellent butler. Stevens also represses his emotions of grieving for his father while he sets the table for Lord Darlington and his delegates. As for Jimmy Cross, he also follows orders to take his men and blow up tunnels or to wreck villages. In the process, Jimmy never reflects on the morality of his actions and only obeys orders. The two main characters have similar puppet roles to play, accomplishing what others tell them to do without strong resistance. 

However, they are unsuccessful in romance. Due to Stevens' emotional repression and stiff upper lip, he never tells Ms Kenton how he feels about her even after she made the first move. Stevens' professionalism takes over his personal life as he holds back on his emotions when his love interest brings up the ultimatum of getting married or her marrying someone else. Stevens later regrets not opening up to Ms Kenton during the time they worked together. Jimmy Cross never gets together with Martha. He has a one-sided crush on her and constantly thinks of her until the death of Ted Lavender. Even though Jimmy went to the movies with her and kissed her at the dorm door, Martha never reciprocates his feelings. Ted lavender's death is caused by Jimmy daydreaming about Martha in one of their missions. 

Jimmy Cross and Stevens have an epiphany where they come to realize that while they aren't successful in the truly important things in life. After Lavender's death, Jimmy blames himself for being distracted instead of focusing on the safety of his men. The members in his platoon are important to him, yet he is busy thinking of Martha instead. Stevens rethinks his past of serving Lord Darlington before World War 2. He remembers how he did what he was instructed to do all his life by his employer, who made bad decisions and was manipulated by the Germans. Stevens thinks on how he served Lord Darlington and the political mistakes made. He has a chance to stand up for what he believes in and for the morally correct thing but he was too dedicated on being a professional butler to take it. Leading to a loss of what could have been a better future for him. 

A link between the texts could be both main characters resolving to change themselves for the better. Jimmy Cross feels guilty for Lavender's death and is determined to shut down his fantasies of Martha. He burns Martha's pictures and letters to him, cries inside the hole he dug, then accepts heartbreak for a girl who never loved him and never will. He also decides to improve himself in being a stricter lieutenant and reminds himself that his job is 'to lead, not to be loved' to be truly better in being a lieutenant. Stevens also resets his goals to change and stop following orders to the letter and having a stiff upper lip. He plans to drop the formal diction and learn bantering, to talking in a casual , easy way and having a less emotionally repressive attitude for the rest of his life.  

27/33 marks