CG5 / Chapter four

I stare at this girl for seconds, or if it is a girl anyway, just standing, staring. Processing their words. Do I need a teamup? What does that even mean?

My brain scatters around sentences, while it also is on alert with the cops after me. I sigh. "Sure, but stay close behind. We're going to my place in Chandler. Keep up from the police!" I see their eyes wide, just like at a convention and when a fan sees my six-foot-two height. I start running, them close behind, like up to my back, as we sprint. I'm not the best runner, but I'm also not the worst, so it counts, I guess.

"So what about your fans? Do they know you're a criminal now?" the girl says.

"Nah, I just posted a song yesterday, so they'll be all wild and don't suspect a thing. Unless they see the news." I say, running as fast as I can, my anxiety punching me everywhere. Gosh, why did I do this again?

"What's the song? I haven't seen it yet."

"Poppy Playtime: Chapter Two song. It features the original voice of the spider."

"Cool,"

We keep running until I can see my house at the end of the street. I fumble with my keys and unlock the door, pushing this girl in. I'm out of breath and put the bag of money down on the desk in my studio.

"Woah, so... this is your house, huh?"

I look at her. "Yup. Pretty fancy, isn't it?" She nods.

"Um... I'm Alice, by the way. Alice Princeton. I'm fifteen."

"A twenty-three-year-old teaming up with a fifteen-year-old, nice." I laugh.

"Hey, are you mocking me?"

"No, I'm just saying it's funny..."

I plop down on the chairs that has lights. I take a breath because of all this running has made me tired.

This Alice girl sits down in the chair in the middle, sighing.

"Never ran so hard in my life."

"Yeah. And the only time I'd run is a mile in p.e at school." I chuckle.

"So this is your studio I'm guessing?"

"Yup," I say, standing up with her. "You're a girl, right?"

She nods.

I stare at the computer screen for a moment, on the wooden desk that holds it up. There's a keyboard implanted in the desk that I can pull out. "This is where I do my music."

Alice nods. I like how she's wearing the Love Isn't Fair T-shirt, but I don't say that. I did make it a little too bright though, like mustard color. How ironic that she's wearing it.

"Wanna watch the news?" I switch on the news channel on my computer, and yet, there it is. I grab a chair for me and Alice and we sit down.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"My mom's at work and I have the day off today from school."

"Your dad?"

"My dad died when I was ten."

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh... I'm sorry. That's five years without..."

"Yeah. I know. Thanks though. To be honest, he was a spanker, so me and Mom don't really care about him. He died from drug overdose." She turns to the computer.

I don't say anything, just swallow in silence. Darn, real tough kid right here.

"So," I clear my throat. "Let's watch this dumb news trying to figure out where I am."

Alice laughs.

The thing finally loads in and the news kicks on.

Oh, how Alice doesn't know what I've brought her into...

All I'm saying is she better be prepared.

*