The Upcoming

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘢𝘳 𝘗𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴

I looked at him, making eye contact.

"I'm still trying to get used to how people can just hit you like that.

I understand it in the war, when you get used to this kind of fighting, but this ... it's hard to wrap my head around."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," he nodded, remembering his days on the front lines.

"I've seen plenty of people take some real bad hits, lose their footing in the fight, lose some momentum, but their comrades just pick them back up.

Same as you."

We walked down the alley together in silence.

The dead birds were starting to appear in more numbers, but most of them were still beyond the clearing.

Satel joined me on the other side of the wreckage.

I pointed out the window at some of the people walking around.

"You know, I'm not going to miss this city too much.

There are good people in it, but it's run by a bunch of rich, self - absorbed idiots.

I'm tired of that type of mindset in my life."

That didn't make me feel any better.

The way I saw it, humans were naturally greedy.

The government was a monopoly, they had to charge more and more for every service they provided, they also had to make sure that they could squeeze money out of their citizens in other ways.

It wasn't because they were evil, it was because that's how humans are.

There were plenty of well - meaning, genuine humans too, and I really liked those people.

I guess some people were just born to want things.

Satel let out a sharp bark of laughter at my statement.

"You should have been with me.

I had just come back from the city and you were getting ready to leave me.

I would have come with you - hell, maybe we should have run away together.

I wouldn't have minded another life on a farm in the countryside.

You could have done what you wanted, and I could have lived by your side."

I shot him a stare and stopped walking.

I'd heard of his family once, but nothing on them.

They weren't anything special, so I wondered if he was telling me the truth.

"I know," he nodded as we resumed walking.

"I just think ...

I've been through a lot with you.

After all you've been through, you should let me in - let me in your life and let me know what you've seen.

Then I could tell the tale without you feeling uncomfortable or guilty.

I think it would make you feel better."

"All right, I guess," I replied slowly.

My life was so interesting with all the different things I've experienced, but Satel was right - the memories of my past were coming back to me more and more.

It was almost like I was starting to remember my life all over again.

However, I'd done such a good job of trying to stay away from it for the last two years that I hadn't allowed myself to think about it.