Chapter 3 - Getting to Know You

Time passed by slowly. So slowly. Doormatt waited on Solev without getting in the way of the other sanctuary members who were doing their best to treat his injuries.

Despite feeling as though time was barely moving, Doormatt couldn't recall anything significant he'd done in the last 5 hours. He recalled continuously pacing around the sanctuary alone, lost in thought. At one point Seth stopped by and gave him some bread which Doormatt only assumed was stolen but was grateful nonetheless.

Doormatt took a seat on one of the chairs outside of where Solev was being treated. One of the nurses had already informed him that his wounds had been tended to but now it was just waiting for him to wake up, which they'd let him know when it happened. No one else seemed to be waiting for Solev, just Doormatt. He wondered if waiting for someone he barely knew would be odd. Would Solev be weirded out? He had to wait though, Doormatt thought. Solev pushed him out of the way.

"Why are you sitting there?"

It was an oddly monotone voice, simultaneously mature and child-like in a strange annoying way. Doormatt looked over to see a guy staring at him funny. He was short and stubby looking, built like a villager. His bowl-cut definitely wasn't doing him any favours, either.

"Is this your seat?" Doormatt asked, worried he wasn't supposed to sit there.

"No, I am wondering why would want to occupy a random chair at this specific location?"

This took Doormatt a moment to both process what he was saying and how one was meant to respond to such a comment.

"I guess I just wanted to?"

'Why did you want to?"

"Why are you asking a bunch of stupid questions?"

"Am I not allowed to ask questions? What makes my questions stupid?"

"Can you like leave me alone? Why are you asking me these things?"

"Why should I not ask you these things? Are you attempting to oppress me and my right to ask valid questions?"

Before Doormatt could formulate a response, the door behind him creaked and he turned his head to see one of the nurses who introduced themselves earlier, Zynn, stepping out. He made a face a the sight of the odd guy.

"Go bother someone else, Framsared." He told him. "Now is not the time for your questions."

He looked like he wanted to continue pressing him with more outlandish questions but decided against it once he saw Zynn's face. Something told Doormatt this wasn't the first time.

Doormatt stood up and walked past Zynn who held the door open for him. Doormatt's eyes immediately found Solev at the other end of the room, sitting upright in bed and staring out the window. 

Doormatt jumped at the sound of the door clicking shut behind him, Zynn likely leaving to give them privacy. Doormatt's heart began to pick up as he realized the two of them were now alone.

Solev turned away from the window and finally noticed Doormatt across the room. "Hey."

"Hey." He answered.

There was a brief silence before Doormatt found the courage the walk over to Solev's bedside. He looked down at Solev who was staring back at him.

"You pushed me out of the way." Doormatt said

Solev stared back at Doormatt. "I know."

Doormatt blinked, trying to understand. "Why?"

He took a moment before look away. "I don't know."

The two of them were silent. While Doormatt swallowed and searched his mind for something to say, Solev spoke again.

"What happened to Colourss?"

His mind went to Colourss. That monster's face when the TNT went off.

"Gone."

Solev didn't say anything but nodded. "Good. It's what he deserved." 

Doormatt nodded in agreement. Another moment passed before Solev broke the awkward silence yet again.

"I'm not sure how to say this," he said slowly, his eyes not reaching Doormatt's, "and I'm not sure what I want to say, but I'm glad you're here. More than glad- I was hoping you'd be here. Right when I woke up and could think again, I wanted you here."

These words tickled something in Doormatt's chest, almost like butterflies. 

"I wanted to make sure you were alright." He said.

Solev smiled. "Well, by the looks of it I am. I appreciate that you came to see me though, truly." 

"Of course, I'm just glad you're okay."

They fell back into silence again, but this time there was no tension in the air. There was nothing awkward about the quietness in the room. It was calming. Comforting, almost.

"What's your favourite colour?" Solev asked.

Doormatt paused. "Um, I'm not sure. Probably blue." He answered the odd question.

"I like blue." Solev nodded. "Now, what's your favourite type of wood? There is a right answer."

Doormatt once again viewed this as an odd question but thought about his answer nonetheless. "Well now I'm nervous I'll get it wrong," he joked, "my favourite wood would probably have to be dark oak. You can never go wrong with that."

Solev nodded in approval. "Alright, based response. Mine would be normal oak, but your answer works too.  Are you a coffee or tea person?"

Doormatt made a face. "Neither, I don't coffee or tea."

"Fair enough. And would you consider yourself an early bird or a night owl?"

"Early bird."

"Favourite food?|

"Pasta."

"What's your favourite animal?"

"Uh, not sure. Maybe a dog?" 

"What would you do if your plane crashed and you became stranded on a deserted island?"

"Uh," Doormatt stuttered, "that's- I don't really-"

He laughed. "Sorry, am I making you nervous?"

Doormatt laughed nervously. "You ask a lot of questions."

"You don't like being asked about yourself?" Solev asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Isn't there someone else you'd like to see?" Doormatt quickly asked Solev. "I mean, you're a pretty popular guy. Everyone loves you. There's got to be someone else in the Sanctuary you want to see right now."

Solev shook his head and smiled, almost sadly. "I know a lot of people here, but not many people know me. But you, Doormatt, are someone who I'd like to know me. And if you are willing, I'd like to know more about you."

"I'd like to know you, too." Doormatt answered quietly.

Solev smiled. "Then shut up and let me ask my questions."