Chapter 6

"Are we seriously going to do this?" Kurt grumbled to Mercedes as the entire Glee club walked into the cafeteria together, preparing for their last gasp recruiting effort during lunchtime.

"Yeah, this is like social suicide." Artie remarked. Rachel sighed.

"No, look, come on guys! You all heard Mr. Schue last Friday! We need more people, and the only way we're going to do that is if we can recruit some today." Rachel reminded them. Everyone grumbled and groaned but deep down, they knew that Rachel was right. They needed to do this, for the sake of their Nationals hopes, no matter what the consequences could be. No matter the fact that after this, if they weren't already at the very bottom of the social letter, they most definitely would be. No matter the fact that they'd probably be greeted every morning for the next month with a slushie to the face. Because it would all be worth it if they even managed to recruit one person.

Quinn was silent as they entered the cafeteria, her head whipping around the packed room, trying to see if Marcus was there. She looked around every inch of the cafeteria and her heart sank like a stone: he wasn't there. Quinn didn't even know why she was so upset. Sure he was really attractive, but she had only had 2 conversations with him, and both had ended with her thoroughly pissed at him. No, there was something about him beyond his looks: a certain quality within him that made Quinn want to learn more about him. His dark, brooding frame clearly housed a lot of pain inside it, and for some reason, Quinn wanted it to be her mission to find out why and help him. However, she couldn't do that now if he wasn't even there.

Nevertheless, the show must go on. The Glee club quietly spread out all over the cafeteria, the band members inching their way over to the instruments that they had set up earlier that morning. The New Directions were extremely nervous, to say the least, as they prepared to begin, however they forced the feelings deep down. If they could perform in front of hundreds of strangers in New York, surely they could do it in front of their peers, right? Taking a deep breath, Finn began to sing the first note...

The following song is Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes and Adam Levine

My heart's a stereo

It beats for you, so listen close

Hear my thoughts in every no-o-o-te

Make me your radio

And turn me up when you feel low (turn it up a little bit)

This melody was meant for you

Just sing along to my stereo

Gym Class Heroes baby!

If I was just another dusty record on the shelf

Would you blow me off and play me like everybody else?

If I asked you to scratch my back, could you manage that?

Like yea [scratched], check it Travie, I can handle that

Furthermore, I apologize for any skipping tracks

It's just the last girl that played me left a couple cracks

I used to used to used to, now I'm over that

'Cause holding grudges over love is ancient artifacts

If I could only find a note to make you understand

I'd sing it softly in your ear and grab you by the hand

Just keep me stuck inside your head, like your favorite tune