Lie Low, Keep The Lights Off

The penultimate one!

I hope you'll enjoy it, the fight might be over, but there's still a few things left to fix!

______________________

The days following Gintoki's release flew by, Hijikata barely having any time to take a break.

The vice-commander had barely been able to see Gintoki at all. Ever since the morning following their return home, it seemed that all of Gintoki's friends, all of his acquaintances, and even complete strangers, had something to tell him. His house never seemed empty, Shinpachi shuttling back and forth to open the door to new people while he showed others out.

Hijikata, on his part, had been mobbed by Kondou and Yamazaki at his return to the barracks. Heaped on by questions, he answered partially, still slightly shaken by the events of the previous day.

He still explained the situation dutifully, taking on a patrol right after just to avoid any more questions. Which didn't last very long, because his commander came to fetch him a few hours later, claiming that Matsudaira was back and asked to see them.

Hijikata hated to have to make the trip to the man's office, even climbing the stairs brought unpleasant memories back to his mind. Kondou stayed silent the whole ride, having apparently understood that Hijikata needed to be left alone.

Once inside his office, Matsudaira asked for the details of the investigation and how Hijikata was able to make the policemen comply. Hijikata explained everything in detail, including the trip to Tilney's office and the officially signed paper he used to free Gintoki.

For once Matsudaira didn't even try to interrupt him. He listened in silence, nodding from time to time to show that he was paying attention. And once Hijikata was finished, he nodded once more.

'You did a good job, Toshi.' Matsudaira congratulated him, something he rarely ever did. There was little doubt that Matsudaira knew about the nature of Hijikata's relationship with Gintoki, but he seemed to have actively decided to ignore it for the day. Hijikata wasn't against it. He'd already done what he'd been asked once, after all, he'd married Satoko. There wasn't much more he could do after that.

It turned out that Matsudaira's office was the first stop of a not-so-long list of people Hijikata had to meet with, Matsudaira unfortunately being the least anxiety-inducing one.

It occurred to Hijikata, once outside the man's office, that the building wasn't far from Westminster. He had no desire to go there, but Hijikata was a man of principle, and he'd been able to free Gintoki partly thanks to Tilney. He had to thank the man for his help, no matter how much he'd rather be anywhere but in the Parliament.

He told it to Kondou who could only agree, and, declining Kondou's offer of coming with him, set off. The walk was fast, he didn't waste any time, eyes fixed on the impressive building the whole time, mind wandering back to the East End and a shady agency.

The guards at the door seemed to recognise him and he didn't even need to say a word before they let him in. He was lost for a few seconds, finding his way thanks to a random man passing here.

Clement was there, as if he was waiting for him, not in the least surprised by Hijikata's presence. He opened the door for him, and Hijikata was almost surprised to not hear him say that Tilney was waiting for him inside.

He actually understood why when he stepped inside and his eyes fell on an unexpectedly taken visitor's chair. His step faltered slightly as he walked to the desk, shaking the hand Tilney offered him without even looking at him.