Umbrella

Summary: Colonel Roy Mustang is an ambitious man who thrives in the cutthroat arena of Central Command's power struggle. But he too is only human. Rain falls especially heavy one evening, as does the curtain on his façade. In a moment of such vulnerability and weakness, a certain First Lieutenant comes to his rescue.

It was a cold, thunderless rain pouring down in a muted roar on the roof of the car. Just as deafening was the silence between Roy and Riza, which started the moment they stepped into the vehicle.

"Say something, Lieutenant," Roy mumbled, face resting in his hand.

"You're worrying me, sir."

Roy loosened the collar of his shirt. It was like someone was pressing their thumb into the base of his throat. He exhaled, hoping the feeling would go away soon. It had started sometime that afternoon and refused to leave him be.

"Is it really wise to leave early?" said Riza. "It isn't like you."

She eyed him with thinly veiled concern as she clutched the steering wheel. It appeared he was doing a poor job hiding how he felt.

He sighed, sinking further into his seat. "Just drive, Lieutenant. Anywhere."

"Yes, sir."

It grew steadily darker as Riza drove, the storm showing no sign of letting up. Meanwhile, an unpleasant tingling was climbing up Roy's arms, silently filling him with an icy dread he was helpless in fighting. His head was starting to hurt, the smear of streetlights out the rain-streaked windshield only serving to disorient him further. He clutched at his tightening throat, hand numb and as useless as a dead hunk of meat. An odd kind of gasp escaped him and he couldn't seem to get air back in him.

He couldn't breathe.

That sensation was like throwing a match on a trail of gasoline. The waves of anxiety he had managed to keep under control all day finally broke the dam.

"Lieutenant," he said instinctively, but hardly heard his own voice.

"Colonel?"

His ears were ringing, growing louder and louder to the point where it was too painful to bear. This car was too small. The walls of it seemed to cram in closer, the air inside feeling much too hot. He was suffocating, slowly being roasted to death in the stifling atmosphere.

"Stop the car. Stop the damn car!"

The car barely screeched to a halt as Roy flung open his door and stumbled onto the sidewalk. Somehow he managed to stay on his feet, but not for long. He staggered a few steps toward a light post before he landed in a puddle.

"Colonel!"

The startled shout was followed by a car door slamming shut. Boots stamping wet cobblestone drew near and stopped close behind him. Roy hardly acknowledged it. He was drenched in an icy sweat before the rain had even touched him. Every breath was a battle, a fierce fight to draw each inhale through constricted lungs. It was like his stomach wanted to flee his body and he had to fight to keep it swallowed down.

"Colonel, what's wrong? Are you sick?"

He couldn't answer her, trembling on all fours as he tried keeping himself from collapsing entirely.

Roy could feel Riza's hand resting over his now soaked back. Rain fell like a waterfall, as if threatening to crush him. When had it gotten so heavy?

"I'm calling a doctor," she said, but Roy caught her arm before she could run off.

"Don't. Please."

She looked terrified and conflicted, already doused in cold rain as well.

"Did you get hurt, sir?"