Chapter 3

Karrueche
__________

The anticipation is literally making my head spin. I really need to win this. Who knows where this can take me if a celebrity is sporting my design at a highly publicized event.

Chris glances back at the mirror before bowing his head down. Most likely in deep thought.

"Okay..." I watch as he takes a deep breath before taking a step forward.

"Both of your designs are hella dope and I'm one lucky ass person to even get the opportunity to be able to choose from either one of you. But, I need to make a choice and I think I know which one I want to wear to the BET awards..." He trails off, and I'm left screaming in my mind that he has to choose my outfit.

I gulp and glance at Nicole to find her already watching me with an intense gaze. I swear if she wins I don't know what I will do. It's fair to say that I never put that much thought into a piece until today. I'm afraid that if I lose, some of my confidence might chip away.

"I'm sorry...but I'm going to have to go with Nicole." He mutters with a slight shrug.

My heart drops but I didn't think I heard him right. However when Nicole jumps from her seat and rushes over to Chris to give him a hug I know that what I hadn't wished for came true. I can feel Rico's gaze on me so I force a smile on my face so that he wouldn't see my true emotions bubbling in my stomach. Nicole won. Not you. My subconscious mocks me.

I get up from my seat and walk over to Nicole. She spins around when I tap her shoulder and shoots me a smirk. I only smile back before sticking out my hand. I'm not going to be a sore loser about it. It was a extremely lucky opportunity and I blew it. It's not that big of a deal right?

"Congratulations, you deserve it." I tell her honestly. I came to realization that radiating confidence and pride will get you no where and that was exactly what I was doing only moments before. I also can't deny the fact that Nicole is extremely talented. It's not that surprising that I lost to her.

Her smirk falls slightly and I know she wasn't expecting me to be happy for her. Too bad, I'm not like her, I thought in my head.

"Oh...um, thanks. I guess." She replies quietly. She shifts uncomfortably on her heels before walking away. I watch her as she takes a seat on the couch, whispering something to Nico but I'm pulled away from the sight when someone taps on my shoulder.

I look over my shoulder and my gaze lands on Chris. I turn around fully and give him a warm smile. I might be slightly angry that he didn't choose me but now it's the past and I can't really do anything to change it. I'm just praying that he didn't come here to pity me or something, that will just make me even more embarrassed then I already am.

"I'm really sorry, but to be fair I did think your outfit choice was sick." He says.

Then why didn't you choose me?

"It's okay, Nicole is really talented." I assure him. He nods before looking away. I shift on my heels uncomfortably when neither one of us says anything.

"Well, um..." I trail off, my cheeks warming slightly.

"It was nice meeting you Karrueche, good luck in your future success." He takes a step forward and gives me a tight squeeze before walking away. I sigh before making my way towards Nico who was now standing and collecting his things.

"Good job girls. You both really out shined yourselves. I'm proud of you both." Nico says with a large grin. His smile is contagious and I couldn't help but smile along with him.

"Let's get going." Nicole waves goodbye to Chris and some of his dancers as we head towards the door. I stay silent, my eyes following the colourful tile pattern on the floor.