Pulled Apart (Chapter 16)

If asked I could not...can I say could not, could not is childish, I would not, would not isn't better but we'll go with would not. I would not admit that the gift Ni had given me was the gift I adored the most. There had been many, so many gifts to choose from, varying in shape, size and expense, but the collection of stories my father had read to me, were not to be contested.

I'd spent the night reading, turning each page as if it were my first and last opportunity to do so. Shifting from one awkward position to another, forcing my eyelids open when they drooped, resting my head against the book when I finally lost to sleep, and childishly hoping that doing so would allow me to absorb the words. It was blissful, romantic if context allows me to say so. The whole night had been an enchanting experience and though its cost was waking late, forgoing breakfast and running to school, peace, satisfaction and those stolen moments of sleep were worth it.

"STAY AWAY FROM MY GIRLFRIEND!"                                                                                                                        

A thought I had to re-evaluate upon entering registration. Finding a large crowd and noting that Carlos was at its centre with Ni.                                                                                                                                                 

"Let me remind you that she is my wife."                                                                                                                         

"She doesn't want you!"                                                                                                                                        

"Opinion, not fact."                                                                                                                                        

"What part of not interested don't you get?"                                                                                               

"You seem well acquainted with the subject matter."                                                                                                 

"I'm not the one trying to force myself on someone that doesn't want me."                                                      

"You're just the one forcing yourself on a married woman."                                                                                                  

"She's my girlfriend!"                                                                                                                                             

"A mistake soon to be corrected."

Abandoning all thoughts of peace, I push my way through the crowd, look from Carlos's tightly contorted face to Ni's perpetual expression of calm and try my best to interfere.