INITIATION

"I wonder..." Paul said, looking out into the water. "Like... I'm sure you know the rumors about the Lamba house? I mean, people say all kinds of weird stuff about them. When you were there did you get a... weird vibe or aything?" He said.

"Oh I don't know." Jillian said, playing with a handful of beach sand. "I mean, not really. Like, are you talking about all the occult stuff? Like how they take their little rituals so seriously? They were super nice when I met them, but I can't help but think there's something else going on with them. I guess if anything seemed really off or weird is that those girls dress kind of kind of old timey. Like they wear brooches and stuff. I mean, thats kind of cool. But yeah, they are weird, but its hard to say how exactly."

"So are you going to have to do that? Are you going to dress like some 1920's flapper or something." He said.

"I don't think so. I mean, that could be fun for a minute. No, but I haven't seen anything too strange so far. I think if there's another thing, apparently there's a difference between 'initiates' and full blown members... I'm not sure. I guess it's not the same thing. I guess initiates are more like friends or fellows of the group. So I'm kind of on the outside as an initiate. I get to attend events and get the spoils of the anthropology department, but I don't actually have to be apart of anything else, oddly enough. I'm not sure how it works, but it's a pretty good deal. I don't know what the catch is though yet. They'll probably be pandering me for donations later on in life, is what I'll wager."

"Well," Paul said. "I'll totally go with you to the Initiation ceremony, if you want. I could just walk you up to the house. Maybe we will see a... cauldron or something. Plus, you know, it's the last time I'll get to see you for a couple weeks."

She dropped her sunglasses down and gave him a smile, and for the first time, the two touched hands. A warm feeling spread throughout Paul, and by the way she was looking at him, he knew she was feeling the same.

"Oh boy, that's right." she said. "I'll be gone for two whole weeks. Gonna miss me?"

He shrugged. "Maybe."

She nudged him with the back of her hand and the two shared a little giggle between them. There was a little bit of light conversation here and there, but for the most part, they stayed just like that. Looking out into the sunset, watching surfers run in and out of the waves again and again. Then before they knew it, it was dark now, and they went their separate ways.

Two weeks. Paul thought. Guess I'll find a way to manage.

#

"I look okay?" He said, fidgeting with his polo shirt. "I wanted to go for casual, but not too casual."

"You look fine." She said. "I look like I'm going to some satanic communion or something." She laughed, and he laughed with her. It was just like her to say something so absurd like that. "Just so you know," She added. "I hardly ever wear dresses. Ever. You're looking at something that only happens in a great while here, mister. So don't ever get used to it."

"All right, I won't. Makes it all the more better." He said, and he could see the redness in her face. She brushed her hair behind her ear and glanced over at him for just a quick moment, before they realized just exactly where they were. The two stopped on the paved walkway that led up to the huge set of wooden doors, and she sighed through her nose.

"Okay," She said, "I guess this is it. Wish me good luck?"

"You nervous?" He said.

"A little." She said, "I don't know why. It's not like this is a job interview or a test or something."

"Yeah. Once it's over it's over I guess." He said. He reached for her hand and wove his fingers in with hers. She looked at him, still trying to hold back the smile on her face. He turned to her, brushed the other side of her hair behind her ear, and they looked at each other for just a moment. He leaned forward, and so did she.