·˚𝙭𝙭 ༘༄ ꒰𝘏𝘦𝘬𝘢 𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘴꒱ؘ*ੈ✩

TW: Description of blood, gore, and vivid graphic mentions of organs

•°.✩.°•

After you lowered yourself down to the entrance of the tomb, Layla helped you unhook from the rope. You both pulled out your torches and began to check out the entrance.

You walked towards the statue at the entrance and crouched down to mark the initials: M.H

Layla had already marked her father's initials in Arabic on the very same statue.

"Mummy—!" Steven shrieked and grunted as he fell on his back behind you both, rather ungracefully.

You and Layla hurried to his aid, "Oh my— Are you okay?"

"I'm aces. Yeah," he struggled to breathe as he took your hand and let you haul him up.

"Okay," you helped him stand.

"Here you go," Layla dusted his clothes.

Steven blinked hard, shaking his head, "I wish you hadn't seen that," he muttered in mild embarrassment, "Oh, wow, look at you,"

Layla blushed ever slightly, but then she looked up at him and realized Steven was talking about the statue behind her.

"Yeah, there's— Gorgeous, aren't they?" Layla covered up quickly, nodding, "They're just, like—Been standing guard for centuries,"

"Right?" Steven bobbed his head in exhilaration, "Look, I can't even— Like, if they just sprang to life right now and asked me a riddle for passage, I'd be thrilled," he rambled, "I'd shit myself but I'd be thrilled," he walked closer to it.

You tried your best to decipher the 

"What's this?" Steven pointed his flashlight to the symbols written on the sand of the statue, "Did you do that?"

"What?" Layla turned around from her spot, "Oh. Yeah. It's for my father. He would've loved to be here,"

"Oh, yeah? Big history buff, is he?"

"So much worse. Archaeologist on a mission,"

"Cool,"

"And to him, it was a dream worth dying for. And he did,"

"Wait, was your father Abdullah El-Faouly?" you asked, slowly putting the pieces together.

Layla blinked at you, "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"My friend was his intern," you informed, "Marcus Hill, Maria Hill's brother," 

"Think I've heard his name before. Was he on the mission with my father?"

"Yeah. He didn't make it either," you pursed your lips with a shrug.

"Um—I'm so sorry," Steven gave you both sympathetic looks.