Chapter 12. Weekend Rendezvous

hole-and-corner

Chapter 12. Weekend Rendezvous

Kim Yoohyeon stepped out of her car and nervously stood in front of a bungalow house painted in white with brown accents. It was a cozy-looking home with a well-kept lawn and rows of flowerbeds around. She took out her phone and sent a text message saying, "I'm here". Her heart was already pounding so hard right now and with her shaky hands, she straightened her warm-toned blazer so as to try and compose herself a bit.

In a span of few minutes, she saw the girl walk out of the house. She waved at Yoohyeon after making sure that she closed and locked her door. Quickly strolling along the pathway, she was all smiles, excitedly approaching the girl. As the other was walking, Yoohyeon's heartbeat seems to get faster as she gets closer.

"Hi there!", said Minji as she stood in front of Yoohyeon who was staring hard at her. She was wearing a cream-coloured turtleneck underneath a light brown blazer which complemented perfectly with her long pants. She was a bit wary at first when Yoohyeon insisted to pick her up for their planned date. It has never happened before. It was usually her who takes the lead and having someone do it for her is quite unusually amusing.

Yoohyeon, on the other hand, was speechless. Her mind has gone blank and she was extremely nervous.

"Are you sure you can drive?" asked Minji all of a sudden.

It brought the younger girl back to reality and quickly nodded her head, still cannot utter a word or two.

"I thought you were just going to stare at me the whole day." Minji said jokingly as Yoohyeon opened the car door for her. She quickly hopped into it and Yoohyeon did the same.

For one last time, Yoohyeon took a deep breath and diverted her attention to Minji as she held the steering wheel tight. "Sorry, you look so good that I was out for a minute."

"You don't know how beautiful you are looking too right now. But I'm glad I caught your eyes... I honestly prepared it for today." Minji, who was unusually feeling bashful right now, diverted her eyes towards the front. It was making her feel kind of shy all of a sudden.

The younger girl smiled as she realized that she was feeling a bit more relaxed now. "Now, let's get going... shall we?"

Yoohyeon started driving. Aside from the faint sound of the song playing out of the radio, the two of them weren't talking at all. Both were unsure of how to start the conversation...

"So... what do you usually do during the weekends?" It was Minji who broke the silence between them. Being the older one, she knew she had to do it. Plus, she also wants to take this chance to get to know Yoohyeon better.

"Well, I'm usually just staying at home, doing random stuff... I've always been interested in learning languages, so recently... I'm kind of doing some self-study, learning a bit of Spanish." Yoohyeon answered shyly. She doesn't want Minji to think of her as some kind of nerd or anything like that.

"That's pretty cool! How many languages are you speaking? Are you planning to travel to Spain soon?" asked Minji, taking a huge interest in that tiny bit of information.

"Well, Korean, English and a bit of Chinese... I guess you could count that as 2 and a half, something like that." Yoohyeon said shyly before turning around a corner, pausing with her answer. "And, yes, I want to travel to Spain sometime soon."